[amc] wonderful news!

  • From: "Holly Herr" <hollyjill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alison Wenzel" <alisonwenzel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bea Smith" <bea.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "blondani@xxxxxxx" <blondani@xxxxxxx>, "ccrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ccrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cmcgaughy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cmcgaughy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "DOOR San Antonio (Hugo)" <hugosaucedo@xxxxxxxx>, "g.e.richards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <g.e.richards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gail Miller" <rakupants@xxxxxxxx>, "henkesa@xxxxxxxxxxx" <henkesa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jennifer Heatwole" <jenheatwole@xxxxxxxxx>, "jessicakious@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <jessicakious@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "katiegoins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <katiegoins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lara Fisher" <thandeka@xxxxxxxxx>, "Leah Gingerich" <sianasimone@xxxxxxxxx>, lorna@xxxxxxxxxx, marlabu@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Maureen Leach" <maureenleach@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "mgosden@xxxxxxx" <mgosden@xxxxxxx>, "neil fencer" <fencerna@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ramona Steiner" <rsteiner@xxxxxx>, "Ruth Roberts" <rkmiller77@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "sarakurtz@xxxxxxxx" <sarakurtz@xxxxxxxx>, "tammie warren" <wams_13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:26:51 -0600

Hello all,

An amazing thing has happened. Today my father spoke. I'm not sure if
he was with the nurse or my mom at first, but he mouthed "help me." He
can't make noise because of his trach, but when they put the mouth
piece in he again said "help me, help me." He told my mother "I love
you" and said a few other things. He had a good sleep all afternoon
and awoke again this evening, said "take care of me" and "I'm tired"
and a few other things. It is just so, so incredibly amazing. No one
expected this at this time. He is also now in normal sinus rythym
(which means his heart is beating normally) and he has been moved out
of the ICU. This is such an amazing answer to prayer, carried out by
so many loving, supportive, caring and determined people. It's so
interesting because yesterday my dad slept most of the day and my mom
kept saying "it's a different sleep Holly, it's a very different
sleep." He just looked like himself and like he was sleeping well and
sleeping hard, and with his mouth closed and it has almost always been
open. This also means, my dear friends, that he is seeing, because he
responded to my mom and to things she said. He did say at one point "I
can't hear you."  I can't tell you how incredible this is. We still
have a long road ahead of us and I ask for your continued prayer. I am
in Austin now, and of course I want to be home but I need to be at
home when it is important that I am there to help with my dad - I have
things that I have to finish up here and while he is still in the
hospital it is a good time to do it. I am so, so, so happy.

love,
Holly