[amc] downtown Stations of the Cross

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:34:02 -0500

Tomorrow morning persons from various Christian faith communities will
gather to meditate upon the 12 Stations of the Cross.  This traditional
Passion Friday journey invites believers to reflect on the diverse
experiences which Jesus encountered in the last hours of his life.   We will
meet at 9:15am at Wooldrige park at 10th and Guadalupe.  Our first station
is in front of the courthouse, and we will move form there to the jail next
door and onto the Governors Mansion.  If you arrive late then please meet us
en route.  You can also call cell(363-2558) to find our precise location.

Wear your sunscreen, drink water, bring your art, wear good shoes.

ALSO PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING A PHOTO OR TOKEN OF

SOMEONE WHO HAS SUFFERED INJUSTICE.  WE WILL PLACE THESE

AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS AT STATION TWELVE.

The program schedule provided for this journey is given below.

At Each Station the leader will say

V. We adore you, O Christ,

and we bless you.

and we will respond

R. Because by your holy Cross,

you have redeemed the

world.

Between stations, join us in singing one of the following:

Were you there when the crucified my Lord?

Were you there when they crucified my Lord?

Oh, Sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.

Where you there when they crucified my Lord?

Were you there when they nailed him to the tree?...

Were you there when they laid him in the grave?...

Jesus, remember me, When you come into your kingdom

Jesus, remember me, When you come into your kingdom

Into your hands I commit my Spirit

Into your hands I commit my life

*At the Twelfth Station (Jesus Dies) we invite you to place a

picture or symbol of someone at the foot of the cross and/or

to quietly speak their name. 12 Chimes will ring out in their

memory and in their honor.

1.   Jesus is Condemned

Cheryl Grossman, Pax Christi

2.   Jesus Takes His Cross

Garland Robertson, Austin Mennonite Church

3.   Jesus' First Fall

Katy Johnson, St. Edward's University

4.   Jesus Meets His Mother

Doug Harrison, St. John Newman's Parish

5.   Simon Helps Jesus Carry the Cross

Bob Kinney, Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest

6.   Veronica Wipes Jesus' Face

Roger Temme, Interfaith Care Alliance

7.   Jesus' Second Fall

Hunter Bates, St. Edward's University

8.   Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem

Jennifer Ramos, St. Mary's Parish, Wimberly

9.   Jesus' Third Fall

Micheal McEvoy, Austin Mennonite Church

10. Jesus is Stripped

Joe Ruiz, Congregation of the Holy Cross

11. Jesus is Nailed

Jim Harrington, Texas Civil Rights Project

12. Jesus Dies

The Victims of Injustice*, The Body of Christ.

Jesus Body is Taken Down

Kay Arnold, Pax Christi

Jesus is Laid in A Borrowed Tomb

Jennifer Long, Casa Marianella

Concluding prayer

Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy

will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread,
and

forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And
lead us

not into temptation but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the kingdom and
the

power and the glory now and forever. Amen.