[amc] Update on Steve H.

  • From: pat hochstetler <srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 19:34:17 -0500

Rob: Please call me on my cell phone so we can discuss next week's
schedule.  (If you see Natalie/Sandra before I do, you can update them.)

We are thankful the heart cathertization went well this morning.  Thank you
all for your prayers!  We still need some more prayers.

This news will sound more scarey than it really is.  it's the quickness with
which aciton is being taken that makes this sound much more serious than it
is.  Steve's older brother, Mark, is a doctor and commended Steve for taking
this route.  That is all good news.

Steve will be in the hospital recieving a triple by-pass surgery early in
the week.  We don't know how big the blockages are -- just that two of them
are affecting 3 valves.  They are large enough to warrant action.

The blockages would have been a bit tricky to do with today's procedure, so
open heart surgery was suggested.  And we agreed to have it done right
away.  He's in the hospital over the weekend to receive some treatment to
make his platelet count higher before surgery.  If that gets high enough, I
think they will  operate on Monday.  Steve's parent's are planning to drive
here from FL to be with us during his surgery.

Some of you may not know that Steve had open heart surgery when he was 8.
He has memories that aren't pleasant.  Please pray that he will have a
really good experience with this upcoming surgery.

I am really thankful that Steve went to his doctor to have things checked
and that he is taking action to get things fixed before they have a chance
to cause anything super serious to happen.

Before he has surgery, he can take phone calls on his cell (965-5328) and
hospital visits Rm 377 (North Austin Medical Complex on north mopac before
Parmer Lane).  He will also have access to his e-mail, although we will be
trying to limit any activity that will increase stress.

After his surgery, we expect he will be in the hospital 4-5 more days.  Once
he is all healed, he will be in even better condition to enjoy life to the
fullest.

Well, I'm heading back to visit with him some more tonight.  Thank you so
much for your support during this time!  If there are specific things I need
help with, I know who to call!  I am expecting to see all you AMCers on
Sunday morning.

Pat and Steve