[amc] [Fwd: Fw: Memo from the Search Committee for the next Executive Director]

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 11:54:11 -0600

I am sending the information below for your awareness.
May it go well with you. Sincerely,
Garland Robertson

*Sent:* Friday, February 27, 2009 12:46 PM
*Subject:* Memo from the Search Committee for the next Executive Director

TO: Mennonite Church USA Area Conferences (distributed to congregations), Agencies, Constituency Groups, Constituency Leaders Council, Executive Leadership, /The Mennonite/, and /Mennonite Weekly Review/

FROM: Search Committee for the next Executive Director of Mennonite Church USA

DATE: February 28, 2009

SUBJECT: RESPONSE REQUEST -- MENNONITE CHURCH USA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR POSITION

The search committee for the new Executive Director of Mennonite Church USA is in the information-gathering phase of the search process. We seek input from across the church to further clarify the role, name the qualities most desired, and identify individuals who may have the gifts and qualifications to be called as the next Executive Director of Mennonite Church USA.

This leadership role is important for our denomination and provides an opportunity for an individual to share his or her unique set of gifts and experiences in service to God. We invite you to commit time, alone or in a group, to do one or more of the following:

1) Pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit in our committee and in all of Mennonite Church USA during this process. Pray also for individuals to be open to God’s call to consider this role;

2) Think about our current world and church and the strengths and needs of Mennonite Church USA as you understand or have experienced them. Consider our denominational vision – Vision: Healing & Hope: /God calls us to be followers of Jesus Christ and, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to grow as communities of grace, joy, and peace so that God’s healing and hope flow through us to the world /and our denomination’s mission: /Joining in God’s activity in the world, WE develop and nurture missional Mennonite congregations of many cultures/.

3) What role and leadership qualities do you believe we need MOST at this time in the Executive Director position to assist us in all parts of our church to live out this vision and mission in our world? Send us your responses to this question.

4) In addition to number 3, we invite you to review the current working draft of the proposed job description (a copy of which is attached and which can also be reviewed at: http://www.mennoniteusa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=890 . This draft has been developed both within the committee and in dialogue with others in Churchwide positions. We are interested in additional responses from across the church. As you think about the description, the following questions may be useful:

a. What items can you affirm of the proposed job description? What items raise questions for you?

b. How do you respond to the essential qualities identified? Are they realistic? Which are MOST important to you? What is missing?

c. Additional qualities have been listed that we believe might be beneficial for this role. Would you move any of these into the essential category? Are there any you would remove? What should be added?

5) When you reflect on this role in the church, who comes to mind? Please suggest names of people we might invite to consider this role. Basic contact and context information for each name will be appreciated.

We welcome individual or group responses. The attached form may be useful, but is not required to provide input. We look forward to hearing from you soon. Our desire is to formally announce the position, along with a job description, on or around March 13. Responses received before that date are appreciated, but input is welcome throughout the process. We realize reflecting together in this manner has the potential to be “messy,” with information coming from many directions, but we give thanks for the technology that allows this. We believe gathered wisdom from many voices will give the committee increased confidence in God’s leading and movement.

There are four ways you can communicate with our search committee via member Richard Thomas:

1) regular mail at Richard Thomas, 2176 Lincoln Highway East, Lancaster, PA, 17602;

2) through e-mail at thomasjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:thomasjr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;

3) FAX to (717) 299-0823;

4) click on the following link and fill out the form http://www.mennoniteusa.org/Default.aspx?tabid=891

The committee will treat all responses confidentially.

The collective wisdom gleaned from the church will shape the ongoing direction of the process. As a search committee we are committed to entrusting the entire process, especially the outcome, to God. May the Holy Spirit guide us in Christ Jesus as together we pursue God’s purposes. Thank you for participating.