[amc] Fwd: ARIZONA/SONORA BORDERLANDS: Five migrants help dedicate the Cochise County Ark of the Covenant

  • From: Micheal McEvoy <liveoakmennonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AMC List <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:37:06 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a CPT that is close to home.

The message of who is my neighbor is brought out quite
clearly here.

Shalom,
Micheal

--- "CPTnet editor, Webster, NY"
<CPTnet.editor.guest.445947@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: CPTnet.editor.guest.445947@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (CPTnet editor, Webster, NY)
> Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 11:56:53 CDT
> Subject: ARIZONA/SONORA BORDERLANDS: Five migrants
> help dedicate the Cochise County Ark of the Covenant
> To: menno.org.cpt.news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> CPTnet
> July 28, 2004
>
> ARIZONA/SONORA BORDERLANDS: Five migrants help
> dedicate the Cochise County
> Ark of the Covenant
>
> by Murray Lumley
>
> On Saturday morning, July 24, under cloudy skies,
> forty people from as far
> away as Tucson, Douglas, Bisbee, Los Angeles and
> Mexico attended the
> dedication of the Cochise County Ark of the
> Covenant. The Ark is located on
> a private ranch with the permission of the owner, a
> few miles north of
> Douglas, Arizona in an area of the desert heavily
> traversed by Mexican and
> Central American migrants
>
> The Ark consists of a donated RV and carport tent
> which provides water,
> food, respite care and medical attention for
> migrants.  No More Deaths has
> provided cots and other supplies.  Students from
> Colorado College, Colorado
> Springs, Colorado, a local man and CPTers staffed
> the Ark over the previous
> week.
>
> Around 7:00 A.M. on Saturday, August 24, CPTer
> Elizabeth Garcia and local
> partner Tommy Bassett found five migrants from
> Mexico, three men and two
> women. They had been wandering around in the desert
> for three days,
> abandoned by their paid guide (coyote) who told them
> he was leaving them
> behind because they were too slow. Each was from a
> different part of Mexico.
> When found, they had no food or water and believed
> that the lights of
> Douglas, Arizona to the south were the lights of Los
> Angeles, California.
> They reported that they had paid their guides $1500
> U.S. per person.
>
> Participants in the dedication ceremony placed white
> crosses--with the names
> of migrants who had died in the desert--along the
> dirt road leading to the
> Ark. These are the same crosses used every Tuesday
> afternoon at the Port of
> Entry Vigil in Douglas. A neighbouring rancher asked
> about the meaning of
> the crosses and expressed approval for the Ark
> program.
>
> The dedication ceremony took place in front of a
> small altar containing a
> statue of Jesus, several lit candles and white
> crosses bearing the names of
> those already known to have died. Tuscon residents
> Father Bob Carney and
> Holly Thompson, both involved with "No More Deaths"
> led the probram.  Father
> Carney's homily text was the Good Samaritan story.
> He said the parable was
> [...]

=====
Micheal McEvoy                                St. Brigid's Gate Farm
LiveOakMennonite@xxxxxxxxx                    Mahomet, Texas

Beautiful Brown Eggs From Free-Range Chickens
Free-Range Broilers & Turkeys, Grass-fed Beef

Support Your Local Farmer and Rancher, Buy Locally Raised Food

Sustainable Agriculture from a Christian Perspective
http://associate.com/groups/christsustainag/