[amc] FW: Upcoming Events

  • From: "Kathy Reid" <Kathy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:57:34 -0600

Subject: Upcoming Events

To:       Anabautistas
From:  Felipe Hinojosa/MCC Southern Tier
Date:  03/05/2003  10:56:04 AM
Subj:   Upcoming Events

Please let me know if you are interested in attending these important
events.
Limited scholarships are available. Thanks. paz---

felipe hinojosa

Upcoming Events
1)  Set Free  is a seminar being offered by MCC US Anti-Racism Program on
April
4-6, 2003 in Dallas, TX.  Set Free is a journey toward wholenes through a
liberative process from internalized racist oppression for people of color.
Internalized Racist Oppression is the belief in the myth of racial
inferiority
propagated through socialization of people of color by individuals,
institutions
and systems.  By tracing our collective histories and analysis of our
current
condition we will explore how we started on a journey toward destruction.
Set
free is a journey that leads toward healing and wholeness.   There will be a
second Set Free this fall October 10-12; location to be announced.
For more information, contact DamascusRoad@xxxxxxxxx or Tina Hartman at
717-859-1151 or 717-859-3889

2) Fire and Clay is a retreat  designed for white anti-racists who have had
the
2-1/2 day Damascus Road Antiracism Analysis Training. Participants will be
invited into deeper understanding of our role as white people within a
racist
society.  We will be grappling with the issues specific to white anti
racists
including internalized racist superiority, white privilege, accountability
people of color and more. Recognizing that racism is a controversial and
painful
issue, this retreat has been designed to include delicate balance of
challenge
and nurture, as well as group time and individual reflection.  We will rely
on
biblical teachings, Anabaptist theology, community discernment and movement
of
the holy spirit to guide our time together.
For more information, contact DamascusRoad@xxxxxxxxx or Tina Hartman at
717-859-1151 or 717-859-3889

3)  "Gifts of the Red Tent":  Women Creating is a women's conference
celebrating
 the connection
between theology and the arts. It will be held at Eastern Mennonite
University
in Harrisonburg, Virginia
on May 16-18, 2003.  This is the sixth biennial Women Doing Theology
conference
organized by women
in the North American Anabaptist community.  This year, MCC U.S. Women's
Concerns is coordinating
the conference.  Registration is $75.00 U.S. and is due by April 19, 2003.
Limited scholarship funds may
be available.  Meals and lodging are available for $85.  For more
information,
contact MCC U.S.
Women's Concerns at (717)859-3889 or e-mail tjh@xxxxxxxxx

Want to engage with other women and men of the Anabaptist community in a
discussion regarding theology and the arts?

Attend the Women Doing Theology Conference, Gifts of the Red Tent: Women
Creating May 16-18, 2003. Check out: www.mcc.org/womendoingtheology/

Felipe Hinojosa
MCC Southern Tier
P.O. BOX 4291