[amc] Exciting Adult Forum Tomorrow

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:32:27 -0600

Attached is J. Denny Weaver's first of three lectures on the non-violence of
God. He takes some strong stands like,
        "Theology has never been more crucial to the future of Mennonites as
faithful         Anabaptists, as a Peace Church, than at this moment. In fact,
I think it is perhaps the most important factor in Mennonites remaining a peace
church."
    Come prepared to "take him on" or endorse his positions or anything in
between. Everyone will have an opportunity to share views.

Ray
Title:

For Conference on The Scandal of the Nonviolent Atonement

Albany Mennonite Church

30 September - 1 October 2005

Anabaptist/Mennonite Perspectives on Theology

J. Denny Weaver

Introduction

Theology has never been more crucial to the future of Mennonites as faithful Anabaptists, as a Peace Church, than at this moment. In fact, I think it is perhaps the most important factor in Mennonites remaining a peace church. I am very grateful to Larry Eby and the other organizers of this conference for recognizing the importance of theology to our future as an Anabaptist denomination. I am grateful to you all for being here for what I think is a conversation vital to the future of Mennonites as a peace church.

Theology is a relatively new enterprise for Mennonites. One of the first conferences by Mennonites to talk about theology as theology occurred at AMBS in June 1983. That conference is one event from which to date that beginning of the modern era of Mennonite theology. The event in 1983 focused on methodology. In the slightly more than two decades since that date, methodologies have been articulated and whole schools of thought have developed that had only embryonic existence if that in 1983. Given the recent arrival of theology as a discipline for Mennonites, it may seem quite audacious to claim it as the key to the survival of Mennonite as a peace church. What I will do in this presentation, and in the two following ones, is to show how and why theology is so important, and to pose the kind of theology that I think is necessary for the peace church.

When I say theology, I am specifically including the doctrines of Christology and atonement. In classic language, Christology and atonement identify and expound the person and the work of Christ. These formulations constitute the doctrinal foundation of any version of Christian faith. Every Christian tradition claims these doctrines for Christian identity. And if theology is becoming the primary tool for expressing who we?Anabaptists and Mennonites?are as a community of faith, then how we discuss Christology and atonement are exceedingly important.

This presentation is the first of three. In these presentations, I am suggesting the need for a new approach, specifically a peace-church approach, to Christian theology. The genesis of this new approach is the peace church, but it is also a Christian paradigm that begins with the narrative of Jesus. It is a Christian paradigm that I intend to challenge anyone who claims to be Christian. It is only gradually that I have come to see the extent to which I am challenging the prevailing paradigm and calling for a new one. In fact, preparing these three lectures was itself a step of confirmation that a new paradigm is what I am calling for. And I welcome your responses as a valuable part of understanding and developing a new paradigm.

In the lecture tonight, I will comment on two factors that contribute to the importance of theology for Mennonites today. One is the demise of ethnic identity. The second, more important factor is the phenomenon called postmodernity. I will argue that postmodernity presents an unprecendented opportunity to articulate this new paradigm, and I will show how I think that sixteenth-century Anabaptism opens the door to this new paradigm. In the lectures tomorrow I will focus primarily on atonement theology, which is a central part of the standard theological paradigm. In the presentation tomorrow morning I will analyze the prevailing models of atonement, and point to their violent dimensions?the way that they embody and model and support violence of various kinds and at varying levels. In the afternoon, I will present my alternative understanding of atonement. It is an intrinsically nonviolent understanding. It is a new paradigm of atonement, which I think responds to all the problems of violence resident in the standard paradigms. Your job will be to tell me if I am successful in that response.

Demise of ethnicity

The first reason that theology is important for Mennonites is ?the demise of ethnicity.? Until recently, Mennonites had a rather visible ethnicity, represented by Germanic language, plain clothes and so-called ?Mennonite names.? It was always fashionable to say that these ethnic identifiers did not ?save.? But these visible markers that set us off from society did serve as a reminder that we were the people of God, and they made it easier to remember our commitment to the peace and nonviolence of Jesus that society at large did not follow.

But as we all recognize, for the cultural Mennonite folks in this room and for the overwhelming majority of Mennonite Church USA, these ethnic markers are mostly a thing of the past. If a specific ethnicity is a fading memory, what is left to remind the church as a peace church that it is called to be a nonviolent witness to the social order? The only answer that I find is theology. Theology?virtually by default?has become the primary tool for defining who we are as a community of faith.

The demise and abandonment of ethnicity is an impulse from within the Mennonite experience that highlights the importance of theology. Coming from outside, the contemporary phenomenon called ?postmodernity? adds legitimacy and credibility to the effort to develop a new theological paradigm for the peace church.

Postmodernity

Postmodernity is one of the current buzz words in all kinds of contexts and discussions, both inside and outside of academia. For context, we need a brief history of postmodernity. The name tells us that what preceeded postmodernity must be ?modernity.? Modernity is not simply a way to refer to the present. When used in the context of the discussion of this paper, ?modernity? is a philosophical outlook. The philosophical condition of ?modernity? is the belief that there is or at least ought to be one universally recognizable and universally accessible truth, if we could just locate it. The modern project is the effort to locate or develop a universal, philosophical standpoint that everyone can recognize as the ultimate source and norm of truth. The point of modernity is that this sought-after truth is assumed to be recognizable and accessible to all people of good faith. Even if this truth is not yet known in its entirety, the assumption is that it could be known and accessible to everyone once it was identified.

For centuries, it was assumed that the church was the institution that held the key to and defined what this universally recognizable and accessible truth was. Theological and philosophical arguments within the church were about the shape of this presumed universally recognizable and accessible faith.

The eighteenth-century philosophical movement called the Enlightenment challenged the assumption that it was the church which held the key to this universally accessible truth. After observing all the wars fought in the name of religion, Enlightenment philosophers decided that religion was the problem rather than they answer. Wars resulted, philosophers argued, because various people were defending their own, biased version of truth under the guise of religion. Philosophers thus shifted the search for the assumed universally accessible truth to a foundation outside of the church--placing the supposed foundation in rational thought or reason that was independent of the church that had sponsored so many wars. This foundation outside of the church, in Reason, was presumed to be neutral and unbiased, a foundation that all people of good will could recognize and accept. Enlightenment philosophers did not challenge the assumption that there was or ought to be one universally accessible and universally recognizable truth. They just shifted the search for it from sources inside the church to sources outside the church. The idea and the hope was that with religion removed from government, and with politics based on reason rather than theology, the result would be peace based on rational, reasoned discourse among nations.

That hope was dashed. Wars can be, were, and still are fought in the name of Enlightenment?s supposedly universal rational principles like democracy, freedom, justice and sovereignty just as wars were fought in the name of religious principles. People and nations now fight wars?they kill people?because they supposedly have the wrong philosophy of politics (wrong definitions of freedom, democracy, justice) whereas they used to fight wars?kill people?because they had the wrong views of the sacraments. This failure of the Enlightment project to find the rational basis of truth can be called the ?crisis of modernity,? or it is called ?postmodernity.? For purposes here, I will call it postmodernity

Postmodernity is the name given to the awareness that there is no universally accessible and universally agreed upon beginning point or foundation that can validate ultimate truth claims?neither inside the church nor outside the church. Repeat: Postmodernity is the recognition that there is no universally accessible and universally agreed upon beginning point or foundation that can validate ultimate truth claims. Stated crassly, postmodernists now argue that there is no universally recognized source of appeal by which we can show Muslims or Buddhists that it is simply irrational not to believe in Jesus. In the same way, there is no universally agreed upon and accessible source of appeal by which Muslims or Buddhists can show Christians that it is irrational and unreasonable not to be Muslim or Buddhist.

Postmodernity can sound scary. Hearing that there is no universally recognized and universally accessible vantage point from which to validate truth leads folks to fear postmodernity as a wide open claim that there are no standards, that anything goes, and that it no longer makes sense to believe anything. Postmodernity may sound like unbridled relativism. But that need not be the case. In fact, when we know what we are doing, postmodernity is actually an ally of the Anabaptist peace church.

Responding to postmodernity

Just because there is no universally accessible foundation from which to validate the truth of Jesus Christ does not mean that Jesus is not the basis of truth. It just changes the way that we witness to the belief that Jesus is the source of ultimate truth. In fact, if that universally accessible foundation that could prove the truth of Jesus did exist, it would actually be a higher authority that Jesus. Thus postmodernity is not really undercutting the truth Jesus at all. It just disabuses us of the idea that there is a supposedly ultimate, reason-based argument for the truth of Jesus. We are brought to the point of seeing that a different kind of witness to the ultimate truth of Jesus is required.

At this point, I accept John Howard Yoder?s answer. It is quite clear that the condition depicted by the term ?postmodernity? does not require anyone to believe anything. And in that setting, where nothing is required and where no answer can be deemed to meet some universally recognizable and accessible standard of rationality and reasonableness, how do we testify that Jesus Christ really is the way, the truth, and the life. John Yoder said that we testify to the truth of Jesus by living like Jesus did when it is not required and even when it proves dangerous or costly. In a context of seemingly relativism, we give witness to the belief that Jesus really is the source of ultimate truth by choosing to live in Jesus? story when it is not required, even to the point of martyrdom. That uncoerced choice is a testimony to our belief that Jesus is ultimate truth and the ultimate norm of truth.

At this point, it becomes apparent that the historic Anabaptist idea of discipleship or following the way of Jesus coincides with the way one witnesses to the truth of Jesus Christ in the context of postmodernity. The stories of Anabaptist martyrs in Martyrs Mirror are elegant testimony to the Anabaptists?s belief that their faith in Jesus was more true than the supposedly universal claims of the churches of Christendom. Anabaptists did not ?invent? or discover postmodernity, but their choice to reject the presumed universal option of Christendom in the sixteenth-century is one of the several phenomena that has contributed to the perspective that today is called postmodernity.

Living by the story of Jesus is an answer to those who assert the relativity of all views. Living within the story of Jesus when we do not have to is a confessional action. Choosing to live within the story of Jesus when it is costly is a profound witness that all stories and all claims to truth are not equally valid. Living within the story of Jesus when we do not have to is a confession that we believe that of all the stories claiming to be true, the story of Jesus is the one we believe to be most true.[1]

But not only is there a way to witness to the truth of Jesus within postmodernity. The condition called postmodernity actually offers the opportunity of heightened viability for an Anabaptist, peace-church theology.

The Opportunity of Particularity

The postmodern doubt about the possibility of identifying one universal Truth encompasses both religious Truth and philosophical Truth.[2] This questioning and doubt both offers a opportunity and poses a significant challenge to the project of Mennonite theology. The doubt of postmodernity stripes Christendom?s theology and the Enlightenment?s philosophical claims of the mantle of generalness or universality. And two things happen when Christendom?s theology loses its mantle of universality. One is the obvious. The presumed general and universal traditions, such as the theology of Christendom, are revealed not to be universal at all. Without the mantle of universality, they are revealed to be the theology of a particular tradition with a particular history emerging out of a particular context. And second and subsequently, the views of some small religious traditions, particularly Mennonites, have begun to attain visibility, and to attain a new level of credibility.

These two developments clearly have the potential to benefit Anabaptists. When it is recognized that every faith and every tradition has roots in a particular context, then no particular theology is accorded a universally recognized, a priori status as the correct one; and if the argument is fair, the supposedly lesser theological traditions?such as Anabaptists?have no greater burden of proof than that which rests on the previously presumed general tradition.

With specific reference to Christendom and Anabaptism, the postmodern condition means that the theological tradition that emerged from the church of the Constantinian synthesis and that continued in the Protestant Reformation*the so-called mainline denominations*now appear as particular traditions and would not necessarily have an a priori or favored place over the several Anabaptist movements who dissented from Christendom?s fusion of church and state. What passes for standard theology?the theology that it is presumed should be accepted by everyone?is revealed to be the particular theology of the church after Constantine. It has been able to claim the mantle of being generally applicable to everyone because it comes from traditions much bigger than Anabaptism. But the advent of the condition called postmodernity has given visibility to the fact that bigness cannot disguise the fact that it is still a particular tradition, emerging from a particular context and having a particular history.

A particular theology for Mennonites as a peace church can now assert its version of truth on a logically equal footing with the theology of Christendom. The context of postmodernity thus offers Mennonites an opportunity virtually unprecedented since Constantine to articulate and receive a hearing for a theology shaped specifically by the nonviolence of Jesus.

I do need to point out that this claim to an equal footing for an Anabaptist, Mennonite theology exists only in an abstract sense. Even if Mennonite theologians claim equal footing, Christendom theologians often presume some kind of a priori privilege. Christendom exercises a two-fold hegemony?both theologically and practically?as they claim (even if they should not) to set the terms of the discussion and the questions to answer. And due to numerical dominance, they surround us with the thought that pervades all our efforts at theologizing. The advent of postmodernity has not therefore made it easy for Mennonite theology to assume an equal voice in the discussion. But it does mean that an opening now exists for Anabaptist Mennonite theology. Mennonite theologians speaking from a particular Mennonite assumptions cannot presume that others will listen merely because postmodernity has called Reason into question and pointed out the particularity of all traditions. Nonetheless, there is an opening, if arguments are made persuasively and Anabaptists are willing to enter the discussion.

Characteristics of Anabaptism

To make a persuasive case for an Anabaptist theology, we have to know who Anabaptists are. I will give a brief characterization of Anabaptism as I have come to understand it. (For a long version, see much revised second edition of Becoming Anabaptist, that was released just a couple weeks ago.) In a single sentence: sixteenth-century Anabaptism developed and constituted a new way to be the church within a particular socio-political context. Although descriptions of this way of being the church have varied considerably for both sixteenth-century and contemporary versions, they almost always included some form of the following characteristics.

Interrelated themes describe this church. The new model emerged when Christians decided to follow Jesus as their authority for ethics?discipleship?particularly for issues related to baptism, economics, and the sword. Since choosing to follow Jesus as a norm was a decision made by an adult, this church was a voluntary community; its members chose to leave the established or state church. The new church positioned itself as an alternative society both to the social order with its government that exercised authority in religious affairs, and to the established church which depended on the government for support and pretended to encompass all of that society. Thus Anabaptism was a reform movement that rejected the state church?the action that earned it so much grief. However, more than rejection of a state or established church, Anabaptism also rejected the idea of a ?Christian society,? or a professed belief that the cause of the reign of God is identified with a particular nationality or social order. Discipleship?Jesus as ethical authority?received a specific application in the rejection of violence and the sword?although quite obviously not all sixteenth-century Anabaptists rejected the sword. The voluntary community founded on discipleship to Jesus is perforce a peace church that rejects the sword of war?as Jesus did. In theological terms, this church lives as an outpost of the reign of God in the world that has not yet come to acknowledge the rule of God.

Additional ideas and practices are derived from or closely related to these three characteristics. Such additional ideas include separation from the disobedience of the world, the practice of church discipline, mission or the acquisition of new members, freedom of conscience, some form of mutual aid or community of goods, rejection of oaths, refusal to hold public office, baptism of adults, absence of a hierarchy, and a symbolic view of the Lord?s Supper.

Anabaptists appealed to the Bible as the source of these beliefs and saw themselves as working to restore New Testament Christianity. However, the entire Reformation asserted the authority of the Bible as a counterweight to the Roman church?s assertions of the authority of the pope and tradition. Thus taking the Bible seriously or emphasizing the authority of the Bible cannot in themselves be singled out as characteristics unique to Anabaptists. They did, however, develop a distinctive way to emphasize the Bible that differed in two ways from both the medieval church and the magisterial reformers. While the Reformers tended to retain the right of interpretation for the authoritative teachers and Catholicism retained an authoritative teaching tradition, Anabaptists put the Bible in the hands of laypersons and involved every member in interpretation by making the believing community of voluntary members the locus of interpretation. Further, the assumption of the normative value of the teaching and example of Jesus and also of the early church gave a priority to the New Testament, and particularly to the narratives about Jesus over other parts of scripture. Anabaptists read the Bible not as a flat series of propositions and timeless allegories, but with a sense of direction and development from Old Testament to New Testament. There developed what later interpreters could call a hermeneutics of obedience,[3] that is, the idea that biblical interpretation resulted from the commitment to read the Bible with a view to discovering how to live in its story, and in particular, to live in the life of Jesus.

Anabaptism as I describe it did not arrive on the sixteenth-century stage as a whole entity after a few folks in Zurich or South Germany or the Netherlands simply read the Bible. Whether the efforts to reform baptism in Zwingli?s Zurich or disillusionment with the Peasants? War in south Germany or Menno?s contacts with sacramentarians and Münsterites in the Netherlands, the radicals who became Anabaptists did not set out with separation from the established church as a formative principle. Their initial efforts at reform intended to challenge and revise the prevailing structure. It was by a kind of ?trial and error? that the radicals arrived at the idea of a separated church guided by the narratives of Jesus, which stood as an alternative to existing structures. This church stood as a witness to both the civil society, which claimed to be Christian and to the established church of that civil society.

This picture of Anabaptism is a characterization of a new movement, a new way to be the church in the sixteenth century. Omitting any of its characteristics changes the character of the movement. Nonetheless, some characteristics are derivative of or dependent upon other themes, and one principle above all gives meaning to this story.

The characteristic that gives meaning to all others is the commitment (or profession of faith) to Jesus? life and teaching as the authoritative source of truth. The will of God is revealed in the particular humanity of Jesus, which forms the base line against which Christians evaluate their own activity.

Second, if most of the social order does not have this particular commitment to Jesus as authoritative ethical source, it follows almost as a matter of course that the church which accepts Jesus as that source will produce a new social reality?a new community visibly different from the society in which it lives. That is, to follow Jesus involves a new way of life which expresses itself in redeemed attitudes and relationships among people both within and without the church.

Third, if the particular story of Jesus is a norm for behavior, then peace and the rejection of violence also follow as a matter of course as a particular manifestation of discipleship or of following the example of Jesus. Jesus? specific rejection of the violent option of the Zealots through his nonviolent confrontation of evil belongs in a central way to the nature of the reign of God revealed in Jesus? life and teaching.

You may recognize these three characteristics as revised versions of Harold Bender?s characterization of Anabaptism in his well-know statement, ?The Anabaptist Vision.?

These central convictions of Jesus as ethical norm, the church as a witness to the social order, and the inherently peaceful nature of the community of Jesus? followers, as well as those convictions or principles derived from them, describe a way to be the church that was new to the sixteenth-century.

The theme of of this lecture is on Anabaptist, Mennonite perspectives on theology. To bring that theme clearly into focus, let?s review briefly the terrain we have covered so far. I began by telling you that theology was very important for the continuation of Mennonites as a peace church. Then I spoke about postmodernity in order to show that the demise of the philosophical stance of the Enlightment, the demise of ?modernity,? actually provides an opening unprecedented since Constantine for the articulation of an Anabaptist, peace-church theology. Now I have described Anabaptism. The big question then becomes, What does a theology for the Anabaptist peace church look like? And how would a theology for Anabaptists relate to theology developed by other Christian traditions? Stated another way, Since Anabaptism rejected the idea of a Christian society and rejected the state church of that supposed Christian society, is it reasonable to ask if Anabaptism did or could or should develop a theology ?a way of talking about Jesus? that was different from the way the state church talked about Jesus. Or stated more sharply, Is it reasonable to think that Anabaptists, who rejected the state church, could or should have a way of talking about Jesus that differs from the way the state church, which killed Anabaptists, talked about Jesus? For me, the answer is clearly ?yes.? But that ?yes? is also contested.

Theology for Anabaptists

The case for standard theology

For some Mennonite theologians, the question whether Anabaptists have or should have a distinct theology has already been answered with a ?no.? The claim is made that not only do Anabaptists not have a specific theology, but that contemporary Anabaptist, Mennonites should accept some version of the standard theology of Christendom and build on the historic creedal theology of Christendom.[4] In other words, the argument goes, Anabaptists and Mennonites do not have a specific theology. Rather, their theology should ?borrow? or learn from one of the theologies of Christendom. There is no unanimity among these voices about which version of standard theology to espouse, but most often the call is to identify with either some form of Evangelicalism or with the Catholic creedal orthodoxy.

I have several times referred to ?standard theology.? I need to be clear about what I mean by ?standard theology? that some theologians want to espouse and that I think Anabaptist theology should pose an alternative to. Standard theology is the theology professed by the dominant traditions of Christendom. To state it very sharply?standard theology is the theology espoused by the traditions that burned Anabaptists in the sixteenth-century. While there are multiple versions of Christendom, there is a loose, general agreement about the core content of standard theology among these versions of Christendom. For Christology, the foundation of standard theology is the decrees from the councils of Nicaea (325 C.E.) and Chalcedon (451 C.E.), and the trinitarian terminology suggested by the late fourth-century writers Gregory of Nazianzus, Basil of Caesarea, and Gregory of Nyssa, who are called the Cappadocian Fathers.

A bit later, an atonement doctrine was added to these Christological formulas. Although a specific atonement doctrine never attained the status accorded these creedal formulas, the satisfaction theory of atonement, given its first full articulation by Anselm of Canterbury in his Cur Deus Homo (1098), builds on the Nicene-Chalcedonian formulas and has been the obviously dominant atonement motif for many centuries.

Those who want Anabaptist Mennonites, the peace church, to build on this standard theology of Christendom make several arguments. I summarize three such arguments.

One point is that Anabaptists came along only in the sixteenth-century. Therefore, since the church had been using these formulas for many centuries before Anabaptists even existed, how Anabaptists as a youthful entry into the long Christian tradition possibly have anything important to say to the Christian tradition in Christology or atonement. In fact, the argument goes, it is intrinsically audacious and prideful for the ?new? movement of Anabaptists and Mennonites to presume to have something unique or distinct to say about doctrines such as Christology and atonement, when Anabaptists and Mennonites have a history of barely five centuries in a movement that is two millennia old, and whose standard formulas have been around for fifteen or sixteen hundred years. In other words, the argument goes, Anabaptists and Mennonites are just to new (and small) to have anything important to say to other Christians concerning theology.

A second argument is that Mennonites are Christians just like every other Christians. We need to express our common foundation with other Christians, it is said. To argue for a specific peace church theology, as I do, can sound like a call to continue the kind of separation that was marked by German language and plain dress. To folks who want to build on Christendom?s standard theology, my call for a specific peace church theology sounds like a renewed call for separatism just as we have overcome the embarrassment of previous separation.

A third argument, stated with some persistence, is that sixteenth century Anabaptists themselves used and affirmed the classic creeds and formulas of Christendom. And if they did, then affirming the standard theology of Christendom is actually the ?Anabaptist? thing to do. If sixteenth-century Anabaptists did not have a problem with the standard theology, it is argued, then modern Anabaptists should also affirm this standard theology, both because it is an ?Anabaptist? thing to do, and because it affirms the common foundation that Mennonites supposedly share with other Christian traditions.

I have answers to these three arguments and more.

Response to Standard Theology

I will discuss the formulas of standard theology in more specifics tomorrow morning. For now it is sufficient to say that the significant point about the formulas of standard theology is that while they do make strong statements about Jesus, they do so in abstract categories and formulas that provide nothing of the particularity of the story of Jesus that contributes to being Christ-like, the particularity that would enable what Anabaptists called ?discipleship.? These abstract theological formulas make real claims about Christ, but their abstractness poses no challenge to supposedly Christian ethics that most certainly does not originate with Jesus Christ. An obvious public example is claiming Jesus as favorite political philosopher while launching an aggressive war based on fabricated evidence. That profession of Jesus can be coupled with the lie-based, manufactured war if Jesus is defined in an abstract way that does not include ethics.

What do Mennonites as a peace church have if these several formulas of standard Christology and atonement are touted as the intellectual, theological foundation for the peace church? The answer is that we have an identifying theology that relegates peace and nonviolence to the margins, if they are mentioned at all. The standard theology of Christendom is quite inadequate for maintaining the peace church as a peace church. Think about it?if it were the basis for maintaining the peace church as peace church, the churches of western Christendom would already be pacifists. If those formulas devoid of ethics or that harbor violence are the theological foundation of the peace church, the Anabaptist peace church is, I fear, on an evolutionary path toward becoming just one more of the nationalistic, violence-supporting denominations of Christendom.

Thus I advocate that Anabaptists can and should develop a theology that makes visible and is shaped by the nonviolence of Jesus. Thus I am indeed making the audacious argument that the ?new-comer? Anabaptists do have something unique to contribute to the discussion of Christology and atonement, and that Anabaptists Mennonites as a peace church need to develop a specific theology that makes visible the peace and nonviolence of Jesus Christ.

When I state that I think Anabaptists should develop a specifically peace-church shaped theology, I want to make one point very clear. I believe that the standard theological formulas are discussing important questions about the relationship of Jesus to God, and about the way that Jesus life, death and resurrection lead to reconciliation with God. I do not suggest posing alternatives because I do not take Jesus as seriously as they do. I suggest posing alternatives because these formulas and symbols ignore important parts of who Jesus is. I think that the particularities of Jesus? story, and in particular the way his life demonstrates the rejection of violence, should be visibly manifested in our theology. The standard formulas ignore that dimension of Jesus. The results are a centuries-long Christian tradition that believes that nonviolence is not a part of the meaning of Jesus. I am posing alternatives to the standard theology because I take Jesus seriously enough to make Jesus nonviolence visible in our theology about Jesus.

The argument is made that the Anabaptist tradition is too recent and too small to have anything unique or relevant to add to the discussion of what I have called standard theology. But I think that our earlier discussion of postmodernity overturns that argument. Postmodernity reveals that standard theology may be the most widespread but it is certainly not a timeless, universal entity. Rather, quite specifically it is revealed to be the theology produced by the war-accommodating church of Christendom; it is not surprising that it fails to challenge war in a meaningful manner. If Anabaptists then respond to this theology by posing an alternative that does make visible the nonviolence of Jesus, Anabaptists are?in spite of their late arrival and small numbers?actually correcting the inadequacy of Christendom?s theology and doing so on an issue and in a manner that is relevant to all Christians.

Thus asserting a nonviolence shaped theology overagainst the presumed general standard formulas is not at all a move of separation and separatism. Posing a nonviolence-shaped alternative overagainst Christendom?s theology is actually an act of engagement with all of Christendom. Jesus? rejection of violence is certainly not the possession of Anabaptists alone, and posing a nonviolence-shaped alternative is what demonstrates that an Anabaptist theology does address every person who claims the name of Jesus Christ.

The claim is made that sixteenth-century Anabaptists cited and used the standard formulas and symbols. And that claim is correct--Anabaptists did in fact use those formulas. But that is not the most important observation, and it is far from the end of the story. I make two points.

First, the Anabaptist approach to the Bible I discussed earlier already has an indicator about how to respond to standard theology. Anabaptists came into existence as a distinct movement precisely because they refused to accept the standard churchly traditions, and instead began articulating theology and practice anew on the basis of their understanding of the story of Jesus. This approach to the Bible is far from a mere starting over or ignoring of history. In fact it must take history very seriously in order to discover and correct deviation from the gospel that begins with the story of Jesus. Appealing to authoritative tradition, as opponents of Anabaptism in the sixteenth-century were wont to do and as the modern-day Mennonite advocates of standard theology are now doing, actually denies the possibility of correction. On the other hand, correction happened in the sixteenth-century and is still happening when Anabaptists read the scripture again in the community that empowers every member. The Anabaptist approach holds open the possibility for new light from God as the community reads the Bible with a view to expressing the good news of Jesus in their current context.[5] This is what I call a ?looping back,? a continual return to the narrative of Jesus, in order to ask again, in the new situation in which we find ourselves, how this narrative will shape our understanding and our actions in this new context.[6] This process of looping back is what Anabaptists in Zurich were doing. It is actually a process that should occur with every new situation. We are always in the process of thinking through how to live out of the story of Jesus as it addresses the new situation in which we find ourselves. This process of continually thinking again in terms of the narrative of Jesus is short-circuited if we are obligated to accept the presumed standard formulas of Christendom.

The second point about Anabaptist use of the standard formulas is that sixteenth-century Anabaptist writings actually display this kind of correction that comes from rethinking theology from the perspective of the story of Jesus. The significant thing is that where Anabaptists cited one of the so-called standard formulas or used the creed as the outline of a writing, they actually did a great deal of adding to and amending of the standard forms and formulas precisely because they were inadequate. The last chapter of the new, second edition of Becoming Anabaptist has a section that demonstrations such additions and ammendments.

My colleague Gerald Biesecker-Mast has written a book that will appear in about two months. The title is Separation and the Sword in Anabaptist Persuasion. Gerald analyzed a number of important Anabaptist texts, showing how they ammended and added to the supposed standard formulas. One particular noteworthy example is Peter Riedeman?s Account of Our Religion, which follows the outline of the Apostles Creed. But once Riedeman?s additions and commentary are finished, Biesecker-Mast says, the Creed as Creed is ?hardly recognizable anymore,? and Riedemann has ?rendered untenable the idea that the Creed represents a core of Christian beliefs held to by all Christians.?[7] The book Anabaptist Theology in Face of Postmodernity, which some of you know, has chapters that indicate various versions of the need to add to, ammend, or complete the supposed standard theological formulas in sixteen, nineteenth, and twentieth centuries. This voluminous evidence indicates that it is simply not true that sixteenth-century Anabaptists did not original theologizing and merely repeated Christendom?s standard theology.

These additions and adaptations that Anabaptists made to standard theology are more than mere additions and adaptations. The significance of this ?more than? mere additions and adaptations sneaks up on us with a surprisingly important point. It is actually the case that adding to the supposed standard theology reveals something very significant about that supposed standard theology. Adding to it changes fundamentally the light in which we should see it. It is the claim of the standard theology that there is nothing beyond it, that it transcends everything else to be the unquestioned given, the foundation that one accepts with dispute.

But adding to that supposedly unquestioned foundation actually challenges the claimed character of the foundation. Needing to add to it shows its inadquacy. Needing to add demonstrates its limitations and its limitedness. And with its inadquacy and limitedness on display, it is no longer the unquestioned foundation and standard that all Christians should accept.

And further, that which provoked the additions and adaptations is actually functioning as a higher authority than the supposed authoritative foundation that is being added to. When historic Anabaptists and Mennonites felt compelled to make changes and adaptations in the inherited theology of Christendom, they were implicitly acknowledging a higher theological authority than Christendom?s standard. Adding to the presumed standard formulas from a peace church perspective displays the peace church?s commitment to a different foundation than the standard theology of Christendom. And equally important, it also the displays particular genesis of the standard formulas as the theological foundation of the church that is not a pacifist, peace church.

With the standard theology?s inadequacy exposed, with its context exposed as the theology of the church that does not espouse the nonviolent life and teaching of Jesus, it is shown to be no longer the necessary standard theology. It is no longer the unquestioned given, the unquestioned foundation that its proponents in Christendom have claimed.

The additions and adaptations to standard theology discussed in the writings I have mentioned show that the Anabaptist, Mennonite peace church has professed commitment to the story of Jesus Christ from within a reading of the story that makes explicit and visible Jesus? rejection of the sword. It is this story of the nonviolent Jesus that should be expressed and given explicit visibility in a theology for the peace church, rather than merely building on the formulas of Christendom, which reflect nothing of the life and teaching of Jesus. Theology for the peace church should be theology that is specific to the story of Jesus, rather than building on fourth and fifth and eleventh-century formulas whose authority comes from the church of Christendom..

Conclusions

What I have done tonight is to explain why theology is important for our future as a peace church. The phenomenon called ?postmodernity? gives us an unprecedented opportunity to articulate a nonviolence-shaped theology for the peace church as a model for what the Christian church should be. And in the last section I gave some indicates of the way that sixteenth-century Anabaptism is the beginning of that new theological paradigm, and can and should function as a guide today to our attempt to articulate a theology shaped by the narrative of Jesus.

Endnotes

[1] This statement clearly has many implications. What is the relationship between Christianity and other religions? How do we dialogue with other religions? Are they completely false or just less true that Jesus? How do relate to Christians who understand the story of Jesus quite differently that does the peace church? In this essay, I am focusing only on the implications for theology for Mennonites.

[2] Although postmodern thinkers are suspicious about Truth (whether religious or philosophical), they are nonetheless interested in truths be they philosophical, religious, or historical. As example, one need only note to turn to religious truths in the recent work of Jacques Derrida.

[3] Ben C. Ollenburger, ?The Hermeneutics of Obedience,? in Essays on Biblical Interpretation: Anabaptist-Mennonite Perspectives, ed. Willard Swartley, Text-Reader Series (Elkhart, Ind.: Institute of Mennonite Studies, 1984), 45?61.

[4] There are a number of such examples. Among the most well-known is J. Nelson Kraybill, ?Is Our Future Evangelical? Let?s be Bold and Modest in Our Beliefs,? The Mennonite, 5 March 2002, 14?16 and the articles of James Reimer, which are collected in his A. James. Reimer, Mennonites and Classical Theology: Dogmatic Foundations for Christian Ethics (Kitchener: Pandora Press, Co-published with Herald Press, 2001). A different version of that argument that Anabaptists should espouse standard theology appears in Thomas N. Finger, A Contemporary Anabaptist Theology: Biblical, Historical, Constructive (Downers Grove, Ill.: InterVarsity Press, 2004). For the argument in terms of sixteenth-century sources, see C. Arnold Snyder, Anabaptist History and Theology: An Introduction (Kitchener, Ont.: Pandora Press, 1995), 83?99 and C. Arnold Snyder, ?Beyond Polygenesis: Recovering the Unity and Diversity of Anabaptist Theology,? in Essays in Anabaptist Theology, ed. H. Wayne Pipkin, Text Reader Series (Elkhart, Ind.: Institute of Mennonite Studies, 1994), 1?34. See also the booklet sponsored by Mennonite World Conference, C. Arnold Snyder, From Anabaptist Seed: The Historical Core of Anabaptist-Related Identity (Kitchener, Ont.: Pandora Press, 1999). For a short version with regard to sixteenth-century Anabaptists, see Ben Ollenburger, ?True Evangelical Faith: The Anabaptists and Christian Confession,? Mennonite Life 60, no. 3 (September 2005). The issue will also contain my critique of Ollenburger.

[5] See John H. Yoder, ?The Hermeneutics of the Anabaptists,? Mennonite Quarterly Review 41, no. 4 (October 1967): 300?04; John Howard Yoder, The Priestly Kingdom, 63?65, 123?25; John Howard Yoder, The Jewish-Christian Schism Revisited, ed. Michael G. Cartwright and Ochs Peter (Grand Rapids, Mich.: William B. Eerdman?s Publishing Company, 2003), 138.

[6] What I have informally called looping back, John Howard Yoder described as an ongoing ?restitution,? a ?continuing series of new beginnings, similar in shape and spirit, as the objective historicity of Jesus and the apostles mediated through the objectivity of scripture, encounters both the constants and the variables of every age to call forth ?restitutions? at once original and true-to-type, at once unpredictable and recognizable.? John Howard Yoder, ?Anabaptism and History,? in The Priestly Kingdom: Social Ethics as Gospel (Notre Dame, Ind.: University of Notre Dame, 1984), 133.

[7] Gerald Biesecker-Mast, Separation and the Sword in Anabaptist Persuasion: Radical Confessional Rhetoric from Schleitheim to Dordrecht, The C. Henry Smith Series (Telford, Pa.: Cascadia Publishing House