[amc] Church Picnic, Saturday, July 31st

  • From: "Eva Owens" <eowens@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Austin Mennonite Church'" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:44:27 -0500

Hello everyone:

The fellowship committee got together a few weeks ago and decided it
would be great to host a church picnic potluck. We would like to invite
you all to a picnic/cook-out at Krause Springs on Saturday, July 31st,
2004 from 12 p.m. on.  Krause Springs is out west on 71 West about 35
minutes away from Austin. It's a great place for families and everyone
alike. It's got two swimming options. One is a regular pool with shallow
and deep end that's spring fed and then another natural spring pool
(pictured below) with lots of rocks to lie on and a big waterfall to
swim under. There's lots of grass and picnics tables and shade. The
fellowship committee will provide hamburgers, hotdogs, etc. and we
thought everyone else could bring sides, dessert, and such.

We hope you can take some time out of your busy weekend schedule to come
to the picnic. I'm sure it will be loads of fun for all. Please RSVP to
me, Eva, (eowens@xxxxxxxxxx) at some point so we can get a head count
for food.

The price of admission for Krause Springs is $2.50 for children 4 to 11
and $3 for those 12 and older. There just happened to be an article
about the place in the Statesman last week. I pasted it below.

Take care,

EO

Krause Springs
Picture-perfect swimming

By Pamela LeBlanc <mailto:pleblanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Friday, June 25, 2004

<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/lhs_Krause_Spr
ings_2.html>

Laura Skelding/AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/lhs_Krause_Spr
ings_2.html>  photo)

Andrea Yeric, 9, lets the water fall around her at Krause Springs.

Swimming holes map

Swimming holes

(See articles for driving directions)

1.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_krause.ht
ml> Krause Springs, Spicewood
2.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_bluehole.
html> Blue Hole Park, Georgetown
3.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_hamilton.
html> Hamilton Pool Preserve, southwestern Travis County
4.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_others.ht
ml#bullcreek> Bull Creek District Park, Northwest Austin
5.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_barton.ht
ml> Barton Creek Greenbelt, West Austin
6.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_others.ht
ml#montopolis> Montopolis Bridge, East Austin on the Colorado River
7.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_others.ht
ml#mckinney> McKinney Falls State Park, southeastern Travis County
8.
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/swim_others.ht
ml#fivemile> Five Mile Dam (Dudley Johnson Park), Blanco River just
north of San Marcos

 MORE ON THIS STORY

Related stories

*
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/index.html>
Introduction: Rain has filled our favorite swimming holes
*       Let's
<http://www.statesman.com/life/content/life/swimmingholes/26swim.html>
teach 2,004 kids to swim safely this summer

  _____

YOUR SWIM MEMORIES

Got your own favorite Central Texas swimming hole? Tell us where it is
and what makes it special, and send us photos from your swims there.
Words and photos should be sent to readerphotos@
<mailto:readerphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> statesman.com by Friday, July 2 for
posting.

  _____

Pull into the grass parking area, pay your entrance fee to 81-year-old
Elton Krause, who sits under an umbrella at a table by the gate, and
make your way down the shady path to the spring-fed swimming pool.

It's cold and it's clear, but the real jewel lies just beyond - down the
25 or so stone steps that lead to the natural pool. Clamber over the
wide limestone bank, spread out your towel and hop in the water.

A waterfall spills over a cliff so lush with ferns it looks like
something out of Jurassic Park. Paddle under the downspout and retreat
into the shady, water-filled grotto behind it. Or plop down in the
trench the water has carved in the rock off on one side and let the
stream rush around you. Or climb onto the Volkswagen-sized boulder next
to a towering cypress tree, grab the rope hanging there and swing out
over the pool and into what's quite possibly the area's best swimming
hole.

Krause was born just 3 miles from here, and bought the property in the
1960s. In the 1970s, he turned it into Krause Springs, a public park
with stone picnic tables and restrooms. The site, once a campground for
Native Americans, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Julie Yeric brought her children and their cousins here recently because
they prefer their swimming without the chlorine and chaos of the
neighborhood pool. "It looks like a movie set to me," Yeric said. "It's
not Kauai, but it's got a unique look. We love natural beauty and this
is God-made or nature-made, and it's just beautiful."

Andrew, 28, and Gina Miller, 27, picked Krause Springs for their wedding
last August. They returned recently, sprawling out on slabs of
sun-warmed limestone. "This is my favorite spot to swim, and I've been
coming here for 12 years," Gina Miller said.

If you go ...

Krause Springs is 34 miles west of Austin in Spicewood. Take Texas 71
west to Spur 191. Turn right, go about a mile, then turn right again
onto County Road 404. Krause Springs is about a half-mile down on your
left.

Admission is $2.50 for children 4 to 11 and $3 for those 12 and older.
No pets. For camping reservations, call (830) 693-4181.