[amayausers.com] Re: recovering embroidery files

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 03:09:17 UT

This message was posted by Steve on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/3/552.html#000002

The topic of backing up hard drives has been mentioned many times here. I use a
Seagate FreeAgent GO drive (around $75 at newegg) to back up my hard drive once
a week as well as manually back it up on DVD's and keep those at my parents
house in case the house blows over from a hurricane. You could also keep the
DVD's in your car (not suggested in 90 degree heat) or use an online backup
service or a fireproof safe.
I am a full-time computer tech and part-time embroiderer. I have cables that
connect directly to the hard drive and USB to a computer that MAY or MAY NOT be
able to see the files missing depending if the hard drive is still readable
(50/50 chance) Sounds like in your case it may not still be readable but I have
seen a lot of other "computer techs" that have no idea what they are doing as
well as some very talented ones. I dont trust anything the tech before me has
done. There is a program called r-studio which is used for data recovery. (I
have used it for data forensics.) As I said before...it may or may not work.
ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR WORK! Single point of failure is never a good thing.