[amayausers] Re: magna-glide bobbin

  • From: "Steve Cohen" <steve20832@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 12:26:17 -0500

My parents used the cardboard sided bobbins for many years. When I took over
thier business they have some sideless bobbins that they never used so I
tried them. I have nothing but tension problems, threw them all away. I went
back to cardboard sided ones since those seem to work best for my machine. I
do keep black and white bobbins in stock and use the black bobbins on dark
clothing in case the tension goes off a little, it isn't that noticable as a
white bobbin (unless it is white thread).

From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amayausers] Re: magna-glide bobbin
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:14:27 -0500

Here here on the bobbins rolling across the floor!
I've never tried the NEBs, just the Coats.
We did try the Melcomart 'generics' once-never again.
Black has been almost as bad-very inconsistent thread
but that's a problem with almost any black material also.
Since we have had little problem since using the auto tension
with bobbins, we stayed with the coats and have a box of the
magnetic white on hand for trouble causing material.
I noticed the huge difference in stitch count per bobbin on
the larger designs we seem to run a lot-so my wife prefers not
to be changing the bobbin so often and hence the Coats over the
magnetic ones.
Back over a year ago melco techs were really against the magnetic
bobbins, even though Melco supplied them. Maybe whatever
objections they had have been dealt with because I haven't seen
any posts 'against' the magnetics.
I can see staying with all magnetics...handy not to have to doublecheck
tension with the 'drop' test on every change.
Just a cost factor on our end, that's all.
Maybe if they run a sale and the price comes down, or another supplier
pops up with a lower price I'd switch them all over.
Never know!

Roland