[amayausers.com] Re: amayausers Digest V7 #261

  • From: Carol Brussel <brusselembroidery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:16:25 -0600

Thanks Ed - we must be sewing twins - I have a 730E and a 1630. I got my Amaya because of several of the usual factors, but also because the Bernina design software seemed completely incomprehensible to me. I can't wait to try to my Bernina bobbins. I just figured my pigtail bobbin case from the Bernina was the emergency backup one.

Anyone else take off the back of the cardboard bobbins? I'm gonna give that a try too.

Carol Brussel
Brussel Embroidery Denver

BrusselEmbroidery@xxxxxxxxx

On Sep 12, 2009, at 11:07 PM, FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

Just make sure you use the bobbins that are used for the rotary hook bobbin case for the 9mm 730E, 200E, 180E or 1630 Bernina models. The other bobbins for the 5.5mm CB hook machines are not the L-Style you need for the Amaya XT. The Bernina gold-latch 9mm bobbin cases for the 730E, 200E and 180E with the pig tail will also work on the Amaya XT, but if you buy these from a Bernina dealer, they could charge around $60.00 for one bobbin case. I'd buy the $4.99 ones from Allstitch that I gave you a link to which look identical to the ones I got with the Amaya XT. Who knows, they are probably made by the same manufacturer.

Ed Orantes is very correct about the anti-backslash spring acting as a brake for metal bobbins, but my experience with "my" Amaya XT is that I can use the bobbin cases without the anti-backslash spring with my Bernina metal bobbins stitching at speeds of 1,400 spm. Perhaps with other non-Bernina bobbins, you will need a bobbin case with an anti-backslash spring. But your Amaya XT could be calibrated differently from mine, so do whatever works for you.

I use my Bernina 730E and/or 180E to wind my bobbins for the Amaya XT. As for your question to me about reusing and winding the cardboard bobbins--I wouldn't bother. They are so cheap and the cardboard deposits gunk into the bobbin case's tension plate which creates havoc on the bobbin tension giving you terrible stitch results which can be an expensive lesson depending on what you are embroidering on at the time the tension is screwed up. It has happened to me twice. I always peel off the cardboard of the bobbin side that rests inside the bobbin case to try to avoid this, leaving the other cardboard side facing outward when I use these bobbins.