[amayausers.com] Re: Rotary Logo

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 12:16:46 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/381.html#000005

If anyone is worried about 'copyright' or 'license' to use logos and
designs...it's been the subject of many discussions and articles in various
magazines (signs, screenprinters, etc.)
Here's the gist of it...
you/we cannot just use copyrighted logos for 'retail'. (That means, you cannot
go putting Ford or Winny the Poo designs on hats, shirts, and then sell them).
BUT...what you are allowed to do (and you can confirm this with ASI, PPAI, UPIC
sources) as an 'advertising specialty supplier'...you ARE allowed to take
ORDERS from dealers, clubs, etc. to produce items for THEIR use (teams, sales
departments, uniforms, etc.)with no problem. There are only a very limited
number of organizations or businesses that restrict to the nth degree who does
their logo. (And, CURVES is one of them!)
So, if the local head of the Buffalo Bull Shooters Union wants embroidered
aprons for the Buffalo Chips Toss-off, you can do them-he can order for his
club. BUT if a Buffalo Bull Shooter wants a BBSU logo to put on his manure
spreader or pickup truck...you have to get permission from the head
honcho-usually the 'secretary' of the organization will have the 'media file'
for their logo that says who can use it and who can't.
And, trust me...the horror stories are true-don't ever get talked into doing
ANY DISNEY character for anyone, anytime. Daycare centers have been forced
legally to repaint entire walls because someone thought a Disney scene would be
nice to have on the building...decorated vans have been forced to strip off
Disney characters before they were allowed to leave Disneyworld...I know a shop
that did it for a customer and they drove to Disney...had to strip the whole
job off when they got there! That's what 'retail' is...that customer had
nothing to do with Disney.
Your local favorite ball club, Red Sox, White SOx, etc.-you can't touch their
logos for nothing...without paying for a LICENSE to do so.
Please be careful!