[amayausers.com] Re: Persistently trying to resolve tension/puckering

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 02:03:40 UT

This message was posted by Anita on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/509.html

Hello all!  I am not satisfied with the tension of my machine.  Lettering has
been the better than other designs.  Stock designs or those that I've had
digitized have always sewn out too tight.  I'd appreciate your help...it's
paralyzing me into not wanting to work for hire.  If I'm not proud of my work
(it's ok, just not great), I can't see myself able to charge for it.

I've been using stock designs from different vendors.  Output from all are
stiff and pucker to various degrees.  I posted recently about changing the
bottom limit of the acti-feed and/or changing the density of fills in the
design...which is where I'm headed next.

But first, I thought I should take a design that came with DS from the design
directory, sew it out unmodified and work from there.  Sorry, I'm very
methodical and this is how I learn/understand.  I'm not one to shoot from the
hip or take stabs in the dark.

So...here's what I did.  I chose the Poppy design, hooped a woven with one
layer of cutaway (2.2, I think). Tight as a drum. Actifeed was set at 3 with
the design...knowing the likely outcome, I left it.  I stopped stitching before
it was 1/2 thru because the puckering was pretty bad already.  Again, I just
wanted to see if the designs that came with the machine would be any better
than other stock designs.  Not.

Next, same design, I set actifeed to auto with a bottom limit of 4 and used a
heavier backing (3.1).  Close, but no cigar. Puckering still unacceptable.

I have quit for the evening...past my bedtime...but my next step will be to
change the density for the fills in the design...from 4 to 4.something.  I'm
not sure how to blanket change the fill density of a design.  I "selected all"
in DS and right clicked to open properties.  Only one of the types of fill in
the design was changed in that modification.   Would I change each style fill
in a design individually or is there a way to change all at one time, maybe as
a % change?  Is there one type of fill that is typically more of a problem than
another?

Would anyone like to look at that design and tell me what you'd do and why?  I
can't seem to get this puckering thing resolved.

Talk about training...is there a level of training somewhere between "brand
new" and "technician training"?

Thanks in advance for your help.  Oh yea, this is a 2007 Amaya XT...software,
the Vista compatible version.

Anita