[amayausers] Re: Peggy's stitch eraser

  • From: "Rod or Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:42:33 -0600

  We purchased the Peanut thinking it was the same as Peggy's Stitch Eraser
and found it certainly wasn't.  Got Peggy's Stitch Eraser and it works very
well.  You do have to be careful with knits but if you have a good
stabilizer it can save your garment.  We always use it on the back side.  If
your design has a lot of very small stitches, it takes a bit more work due
to the tiny knots (tie-ins and tie-offs).  We don't have to use it often but
it is wonderful when needed.  It works really well if it is satin stitch.
  Sharon

  To add a bit to Sharon's comments, I've used both the Peanut and the
Peggy's......The Peanut simply cannot hold up to the job against the
Peggy's. I am not sure what the real difference is but the Peggy's will
definitely cut thread where the Peanut will not, period!!!!

  As Sharon said, we always trim the stitching from the backside of the
design and again, having a good backing really helps in this regard. The
lighter the backing, the more careful you need to be about shaving off the
stitching. Rarely do I ever trim from the front side of the design unless it
is on someting like a heavy denham or duck cloth, never on towels, knits,
fleece knap, etc., unless using it to shave off the knap on purpose....I
have not found that the Peggy's or anything for that matter works magic on
dense fill designs or very small tight lettering with small stitch underlay.
You can easily get the satin column off the back and use your fingernail to
scrape away the cut stitching from the front, but you will have to work at
getting the underlay stitching out.

  One trick I use often, is draping the garment over the cap frame gauge and
stretching it tight. This helps with the Peggy's blades being able to get a
bite and actually shave some of the stitching off using  a kind of diagonal
cross-hatch rub-rub-rub with the backside of the Peggy's  blade which fuzz's
up the thread and then shave it off and rub-rub, etc. On Polo's, some I have
been able to save, but it is dificult and at no fault of the Peggy's erasor
tool. There can be several threads in the knit cut or damaged by sewing on
the design, and/or, the tie-ins or tie-off's are just so tight that in
picking at them I have further damaged the material. But sometimes i get
lucky and sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.......

  All in all, the Peggy's has it's place. It is fast and helpful on satin
columns. The wider the column, the better it works. It is the type of
underlay that may give a person a problem. Short stitch edgewalk or
centerwalk is always a challenge and will be tedious no matter what tool you
use.....It is a tool that must be used carefully because it does cut thread
well and you can ruin a garment in a heartbeat if you get too rough... just
my 2 cents worth....

  Rod Springer