[amayausers.com] Re: Needles - What Do YOU Use?

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 20:35:37 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/634.html#000004

I found that if I'm changing needles often, my wife didn't set the needle
'plate' correctly. She has a tendancy to have it 'off' just a hair to one side
or front to back...needle rubs and frizzles up the thread, or creates a bur.
Started having trouble with this hat order I just finished...after the first
couple hats I checked the plate (she sets up the machine, not me) and yup, that
plate was off.
Reset it-then started checking needles. Using 8 colors, found burrs on 4 of
them. Changed them out from 75's to 80/12's just because I grabbed that size
first and wanted to see what would happen. Thread breaks cut in half, but still
happening...dang that Port Authority 6 panel seam!
But did some 65-66 hats with not a single burr appearing! Maybe every 3rd hat
would run start to finish without a problem-other 2 of 3 would have anywhere
from 1 to 3-4 thread breaks. Always a different color, never more than 1 break
per color. Before switching to the 80's-had multiple breaks per color.
So I think from now on I"ll use the 80's on hats!
Waiting to see what you folks say about going to the titanium needles...do they
really hold up longer and stay sharper or is it just a marketing ploy to make
us pay more money for them?
As for broken needles...haven't had a single broken needle since sometime
middle of last year!