[amayausers.com] Re: Needles - What Do YOU Use?

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 19:52:39 UT

This message was posted by levelbest on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/634.html

Hey All:

Wanted to get some feedback.  Even being in this 5-6 years now, I occasionally
look at how to improve the quality of our output which got me to thinking about
needles.

I was sewing out a Nike Dri Fit Mock Turtleneck and was getting holes in the
fabric (expensive lesson).  The design had sewn out fine in the past but I had
it redigitized anyway.  Same issue.  Originally I was sewing on 75/11
ballpoint.  I switched to 75/11 sharp.  Looked better, but I still got one hole
(down from a bunch!).  Then tried 65/9 with 60 weight thread.  Better but thin
thread wise.

Finally went back and (duh) changed the needle.  Even ballpoints go bad after a
while, because on re-sewing it out, things looked much better and no holes at
all.  Same thing happened a few weeks ago sewing out caps.  Wasn't happy with
the sew quality and changed to a new sharp titanium needle.  Bam.  Looked great.

So, I wonder...

1)How often do you change needles?

2) What brand, size and type of needles do you use most?  I think I remember
someone saying they used something other than 75/11 bp as their everyday
needle?  Anyone using a 70/10?  If so, why?

3) How do you set things up?

** Currently on our machines **

Needle 1-12 - 75/11 Titanium Organ Ballpoint
Needle 13-14 - 75/11 Titanium Organ Sharp
Needle 15-16 - 65/9 Madiera (w/ 60 weight thread)

I'm hoping a lot of you will give feedback.  Seems that folks struggle with
this a lot and don't know the basics of what to use when.

Oh, and along the same topic - what do you use for microfiber stuff from
addidas, nike & ping needle wise?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!