[amayausers] Re: Leather

  • From: Kushnerick <bkushner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:11:06 -0700

Don't know the leather you will be stitching on or the software you are
using but when stitching on leather, the goal will be to punch as few
holes as possible and make these holes as small and far apart as you
can. The type and quality of leather will often dictate what you can and
can not get away with.

I would suggest that you :

- lower your stitch density [start with at least a 20% reduction in what
you would normally use and reduce that density even more if you can]
- use little or no underlay stitching
- widen the column width of your lettering to at least 4mm but 5 or 6 mm
would be even better [what will work best often depends on the leather
itself]
- use a 70/10 sharp point needle. If you don't have 70/10's then use 75/11's
- use a tear-away stabilizer [although most good leather really needs no
backing at all, many feel more comfortable using some form of stabilizer]
- try to avoid using regular hoops because they can leave hoop marks.
Something like FastFrames or a clamping system are often a better
choice. If you do use regular hoops ..... do not overly tighten the hoop
and keep the jacket hooped for the shortest time possible [hoop the
jacket, immediately stitch the name and then remove the hoop as soon as
the stitching is done].
- slow your machine speed down considerably [again, this will depend on
the leather and the quality of the lettering but for virtually all
leather stitching, machine speeds should be reduced by maybe something
like 25 - 30 % or more]
- try adding a drop of silicone lubricant to the needle [something like
Needle-Eze] when doing leather. Some embroiderers like to do this when
stitching on leather to reduce friction but it usually is an unnecessary
step
- get yourself scrap leather to practice on [should be similar quality /
weight] ..... better to find out that you have a problem on scrap pieces
than on the jacket. If you don't have access to scrap leather, then use
a soft thin vinyl as a substitute.

Take your time, practice on scraps and things will turn out fine.

Happy Holidays

Bob

.