[amayausers] Re: Help--thread breaks with sticky backing

  • From: DLCompton@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:19:33 EST

In a message dated 3/31/2004 8:16:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
linen@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> Make sure your presser foot is adjusted.  Maybe try a material thickness of
> 5 or 6.  Are you using the same thread as on the caps?

My presser foot is 1 click up from bottom. I've actually gone down in
material thickness (to 3). I'm now somewhat wrapping the sticky backing on the
top of
the fast frame. I also changed to new needles (75/11 sharps). Still going at
850 (I may try faster soon). I adjusted the needles slightly to make sure the
eye is straight on (I could never tell 5* to the right and straight seems to
work). I am getting less breaks (maybe only 1 or 2 per patch). Same thread as
for the caps (ARC poly).

Alicia wrote:
<<It's not you or the machine.  It is the sticky backing.  We had a few
hundred backs of hats we were sewing and the needle & the thread got caught
up on the sticky backing and kept backing .  We kept the sticky backing on
the fast frame and cut a whole in it where the emb. was going & we just used
regular backing underneath.  The sticky backing held the hats on the fast
frame.  The backing is a waste of time and money.  Try hooping tear away and
spraying  maderia spray adhesive on the backing to hold down the patch while
you sew.  That works for us all the time.>>

I would try spray but everytime I use spray adhesive it gets junk in my
bobbin casing and causes problems too. Somewhere I saw someone using wax paper
for
something but I can't remember for what....could that help? I do know that the
sticky paper is getting junk on my needle (clogging the eye). Any other
suggestions?

Dorothy