[amayausers.com] Re: Heat Presses/Transfers

  • From: "Frank Cahoon" <fec3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 06:54:29 -0400

A dye sub printer is one that uses sublimation inks.  It is a process were
you print on special release paper, put it on a substrate (shirt, license
plate, plaque, mug, etc) and heat it using a heat press.  Unlike other
processes the ink actually vaporizes and it absorbed by the substrate
leaving virtually no hand and a permanent image.  You can get must more
detail and colors than traditional screen printing and since you don't have
to deal with screens it can be very cost effective in short runs.  With that
said there are some draw backs.  First if you are doing shirt it will need
to be an artificial fabric like polyester.  Also, since the ink is absorbed
into the substrate you can only print on light colored material.  We use it
a good bit and customers seem to like the detail and feel we can get with
it.  To do dark shirts you will either need to invest in a cutter and
printer combination.  There are several different set ups you can do in a
wide price range.  Or you will need to invest in a DTG printer or screen
printing equipment.  The other option would be to buy transfers from
companies like Transfer Express.  If you have any other question about dye
sublimation printing please feel free to write.

Frank Cahoon
Cahoon's Closet, LLC
Alphabet Soup: The Monogram Shop