[amayausers] Fraying problem

  • From: "Jack Fuller" <eta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:35:32 -0700

I am having a thread fraying problem that I have been unable to solve. I am
sewing a completely re-digitized design with small letters and an outline
graphic in satin stitch. The letters appear to be Micro Block caps and
lowercase at .22. He digitized the letters too. My digitizer is an old hand
with an excellent track record. I am sewing 5.6 oz jersey. I started with 2
oz cutaway and no solvy w/ a 80/12 BP. I had some better luck with doubling
the backing but that didn't completely fix the problem. I changed to a 70/10
BP. I am using ARC 40 poly. I checked the needle to make sure it was not in
backwards. I cleaned under the sew plate and made sure the oiling service
was current. I don't always get a trim even though the knife actuates. There
appear to be no spurs on the trimming knife. I changed the materiel
thickness to 3, then 4, 5 and even 6. I get looping at 6 and thread breaks
at 4 and fraying no matter where I set it. I ran the design through design
filter with default 1.5 and low then went to medium and finally high. I sent
the design back to the digitizer and he added some trims but said he
couldn't find any problem areas in the digitizing. I tried sewing a test
with block and the recommended settings. I tried several other alphabets and
sizes all within the recommended parameters. I still get the fraying and
goobers. This is a 2003 machine with only about 100 hours sewing time.
Anyone have any ideas?
Jack Fuller
jack@xxxxxxxx