[amayausers] Re: Font Question

  • From: "Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:56:08 -0700

Ron,

Jack is right, adjust the pull comp but here is where you can get into some
difficulty with this font at 4" size. I pulled one up and added 150 pull
comp. The columns then measured in at over 1/2" wide. This would be much too
wide for a garment as it would snag  on anything and everything. Original
measurements came in at .35 inches on the columns  ( the letter B ). So
increasing the pull comp is the way to go but also the density may need to
be thickened up a bit.

As far as the underlay--when you select the lettering you will notice a
small  ( x ) in the center of the letter. "Left click" on this ( x ) and
hold for a couple of seconds and then let go. A box will be placed around
that letter. You can now "Right click" inside the boxed area and in the menu
tree, click on " wire frame editing " .  "Right click again in the boxed
area and select "Properties". Adjust your pull comp and density in this
screen as well as add underlay of all types to your hearts content. Adding
an edgewalk will help to keep the edge of the satin column from separating
and adding a zigzag or double zigzag will make it kind of poofy from thread
build up--but it all adds stitches--depends on the look you want and the
stitch count you are willing to live with...

On a letter this large, make sure that  " short stitches " is  " on ".

" Short stitches on"  should not be used in lettering that is approximately
1/4 in or smaller. Turn them off.

Getting into lettering this big is where appliqué and/or borders or other
digitizing techniques come into play. I needed a wide satin column in a
design  not long ago and  digitized two .250 columns spaced apart and ran
another .250 column down the middle of the spacing. It actually looked very
good. Adds stitches but filled the bill at that time in that
design......there is always more than one way to skin a cat.
Rod

 Rod Springer
Melco Trained Technician/Owner
(Design Shop Pro+ Digitizing)