[amayausers.com] Re: Christmas Eve Story

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 22:27:25 UT

This message was posted by Juli in Kona on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/87.html

Twas the night before Christmas and  all seemed right.  Our bellies were full
(with food I did not have to cook, good family social time, Santa was very
generous).  All was well - we thought.  Loaded all our presents into the car.
Took a little of the leftovers to take home.  And off we went - late at night,
pleasantly tired and very happy - the 4 miles home.  We parked the car in the
garage and my DH went to bring the dog in.  We tie him outside because if we
don't he will go through any and every screen to get out if we are not there.

While I am gathering things to bring in the house, I hear my DH muttering,
"What the hell!  Oh my god!  What did this dog do?  JJJUUULLLII!!"  I run over
and the smell of diesel fuel is overpowering!

The dog, while we have been enjoying ourselves eating good food, opening
presents, taking pictures - all the good family stuff - our dog has become more
and more determined to get loose.  He got stuck under the new truck (my
husbands pride and joy) and chewed through 18 wires and the fuel line!  He was
totally soaked in diesel fuel - dripping wet.  We figured from the amount of
fuel on the ground that this only must have happened 10 or 15 min before we got
home.  Our poor baby had already thrown up at least once.  Fuel is still
running out, dog still stuck under the truck still getting drenched and us in
our good duds.  I run up stairs to change clothes and DH just strips and gets
into he mechanics overalls.  This is 11:00 at night and we are both tired!

I get the dog and try to at least get his feet dry enough to take him upstairs
to the shower to give him a bath. Over the carpet, I might add.  Oh well, it
needs a good cleaning anyway!

So there I am at nearly midnight, in the shower with the dog who is very good
about baths because we use warm water, using a gallon of shampoo to try to get
the fuel off.  Have you every tried to get diesel fuel out?  Soap just doesn't
want to lather very much.  Well, I did my best - with the dog throwing up in
the shower with me.  Poor thing!  He wasn't feeling very well!

In the mean time, there was my DH under the truck at near midnight, trying to
stop the leek.  The fuel line, where it went straight, is metal.  But where it
curved around it was accordion pleated plastic.  All he could think about is
the exorbitant salaries the head honchos get and they use cheap plastic for
fuel lines, on an expensive truck!  How can you wrap tape around something like
that and get a tight seal!  Well, you can't!  With fuel running down his arms,
lying in the fuel puddle, in the dark with a flash light.

So finally the dog is as clean as I can get him and the leak is at least down
to a slow drip (Oh, we had just filled the tank!) with a bucket below to catch
the drips.

Now, the poor dog ain't feeling to good!  He throws up twice - on the carpet.
And he, once in awhile, seemed to be straining to have a bowel movement - but
nothing.  But I know what is coming!  So, DH take pooch out for a walk and sure
enough he has two bowel movements - at midnight, in the dark where he couldn't
see what was what.  But I know that things ain't good!  So, I insist that he
spend the night out on the porch where at least we can clean up the messes
without too much trouble.

So, out goes pooch to the enclosed porch and we drop into bed with DH getting
up every 2 hours to check on the patient (in the dark). So in the morning, DH
say, "Come.  Take a look at this."  Blood ion his stool - what there was of it.
 Not good.  But he was hungry and would drink water, so we figure he is at
least feeling a little better.  Poor thing!

Why are men such block heads?  My DH, who is usually so right on - but he has
this thing about feeding his pooch table food.  And I am practically screaming
at him to not feed the dog table scraps!  I know that, under the circumstances,
it is NOT a good idea.  The poor dog's intestines are bleeding.  You don't feed
him spicy table scraps - PERIOD!  I finally prevailed, but it was a struggle.

So, here we are on Fri..  The truck is in the shop getting a new fuel line.  By
the time we got to the dealer, the gas tank was almost empty!  We have been
paying about $5/gal for diesel.  The dog seems to be recovering nicely.  He
still needs a few more baths and the towels I used to wipe him still stink of
fuel even after 3 washings.

I'm sure this is a Christmas we will never forget!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Juli in Kona