[amayausers] Re: Backing questions

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:04:56 -0600

Deciding on one or two layers of backing should depend on how stable the
fabric is.  What that means is how stretchy is the fabric to be sewn on.
Stretchy is no good when it comes to embroidery because you can't have the
fabric doing it's own thing as the machine is moving it around at those high
speeds.  Imagine trying to get your shoes to fit snug with rubber-band shoe
laces.  If the fabric has a tendency to stretch, like a t-shirt or polo
shirt, then it is preferred to use one or two layers of cut-a-way backing.
The more you use, the stronger the overall embroidery will be.  I guess you
could use 20 layers if you could get it hooped and had a sharp, thick
needle.  At some point it will become overkill.

The rule of thumb we use is if it's going to touch the skin, use cut-a-way
because it will be softer, especially after washing.  Also know that
cut-a-way is stronger in that tear-a-way backing can have a tendency to do
as it's name implies - "Tear" during sewing and not truly support the fabric
like you'd like.  Some times you use backing not only to support the fabric
but to give the inside of the fabric a smooth surface as it slides across
the needle plate.  This would be true on something like caps.  Sometimes the
backing is just there for support until you can get all the underlay
stitches down and in place for the final stitches to sew on top of.  Some
folks would rather sew on two layers of thin backing as opposed to one layer
of thick backing.  I guess it's that old analogy of plywood versus a solid
plank.  The plywood is stronger because it's made up of layers.  Sometimes
you alternate the "grain" of the backing so that you wind up with a varying
pattern like with "athletic mesh" backing.  That's the backing with the
small holes throughout.

Oh, so much fun backing is!
In time, if you continue to ask questions, you will have a good idea as to
what kind and how much backing is really necessary in your embroidery.  One
of the nice things about the Amaya's is that you have minimal top thread
tension which renders a great number of fabrics good to sew without any
backing at all.  Of course it also has to do with your hooping techniques as
well.  Remember not to stretch the fabric when you hoop,-  and I personally
am a big fan of underlay stitches.

Good luck,
Ed