[alpaca_fibre] Re: FW: Sire Reference Program

  • From: Ian Watt <alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:25:55 -0700

Ruthanne,
Many thanks for your comments - I really appreciate them.
I hadn't thought of the possible problems you raise but I do see where=20=

someone can make a mountain out of a molehill. I must admit that I tend=20=

to disregard those who see a "red under every bed" mainly because these=20=

type of people spend a disproportionate amount of time protecting=20
perceptions instead of getting on with a productive and happy life -=20
their decision, their consequence. However, I do agree that they tends=20=

to be very vocal and quite easily provide a perception of import that=20
is not there.
I think I can overcome the problem by defining an inspecting=20
veterinarian as one not either in the employ of the participating=20
breeder or the woner of the animal. I would be most reluctant to draw=20
the line any further because, as you point out, there are plenty of=20
related business transactions between people that make real distance=20
really hard to achieve.
I would rely instead, on the professionalism of the veterinarian=20
reputation and qualification.
The fact of the matter is that the name on the proforma is that of a=20
professional veterinarian who has both a qualification and reputation=20
to maintain. i trust that this is sufficient reason for those=20
veterinarians who even sniff a conflict of interest will recuse=20
themselves to maintain the integrity of the assessment.
I personally would apply the same perspective to the treatment of=20
judges at shows. This practice of isolating the judges before a show,=20
during the show and also disallowing people who have dealt with the=20
judge in the six months prior to the show exhibits, to me, a lack of=20
maturity with both the proponents of this regime and the industry as a=20=

whole that does not have enough faith in a person to extend them the=20
courtesy of professional attitude and integrity.
But that is another matter I guess!
I hope this answers your question but if it doesn't and anyone else=20
would like to comment, please do.
Kind regards,
Ian Watt

On Sunday, Apr 18, 2004, at 09:29 US/Pacific, Ruthanne McCaslin wrote:

> [...]

> six
> months in arrears on his vet bills.  Even if the vet was meticulously
> impartial and the animal that passes deserved to pass and the animal=20=

> that
> failed deserved to fail,  that has never yet stopped a determined=20
> whiner.
> Whiners are a very, very small percentage of the alpaca community, =20
> who by
> and large are the nicest folks on earth,  but they tend to make=20
> themselves
> heard over the pleasantries of the majority.
>
> I am not trying to create problems here,  just help you think ahead =
and
> prevent them.  I totally agree that integrity,  both real and=20
> percieved,  is
> what creates the value in a program of this nature.  I hope to hear=20
> more
> soon.
>
> Wishing you nothing but the best,
>
> Ruthanne
>
> Ruthanne McCaslin,  DVM
> Promised Land Farm Alpacas
> Chardon,  Ohio
> www.blackalpaca.com
>
>> From: Ian Watt <alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [alpaca_fibre] Re: FW: Sire Reference Program
>> Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:06:39 -0700
>>
>> Wayne,
>> I did receive your earlier mail but then I went off to England for a
>> couple of weeks!! Great trip travelling the canals of Shropshire and
>> Wales in a narrow boat - guaranteed stress buster!
>> I am awaiting a note from my Australian lab with all the details and
>> will be incorporating them into the final release of the plan. I have
>> had a good response from a very limited mail out and am confident =
that
>> it will appeal to those forward thinkers who want to work away from=20=

>> the
>> show circuit. I will let you know the details as soon as I have them =
-
>> hopefully later this week.
>> The advance copies of the book have arrived and I am posting your =
copy
>> on Monday. It looks better than I had hoped which is both exciting =
and
>> a relief!
>> Hope you are well.
>> Cheers,
>> Ian
>> On Wednesday, Apr 7, 2004, at 05:58 US/Pacific, Sixth Day Farm wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ian,
>>>
>>> I'm re-sending this as I never got a response about the lab doing =
the
>>> skin biopsies so I thought perhaps you didn't get the e-mail.
>>>
>>> Best Wishes,
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>
>>> *****************************************************
>>> Dr. and Mrs. Wayne C. Jarvis            "In the beginning, God
Genesis
>>> 1:1
>>>
>>> home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           www.sixthdayfarm.com
>>>
>>> Everyone talks about genetic improvement, at Sixth Day Farm we're=20
>>> DOING
>>> IT.

Genesis
>>> 1:1
>>>
>>> home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           www.sixthdayfarm.com
>>>
>>> Everyone talks about genetic improvement, at Sixth Day Farm we're=20
>>> DOING
>>> IT.

>>> the
>>> future. I am awaiting a response from Elizabeth Paul and will, in =
all
>>> probability, include details of gum, toenail, point and eyelid =
colour
>>> in the sire disclosure list. I would be very interested if anyone =
has
>>> any comments about this aspect of the project.
>>> I am pasting the new program guidelines into this email for you to
>>> peruse and consider. If you have any comments, I would greatly
>>> appreciate you airing them on this site so we can all share the
>>> thoughts.
>>> Incidentally, another 20 odd breeders have joined the list as they
>>> attended a workshop in California several weeks ago. New workshops=20=

>>> are
>>> planned for Maine, Colorado and Virginia later this year.
>>> And the International Alpaca Handbook is finally off the presses and=20=

>>> at
>>> the bindery awaiting binding!!
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ian Watt
>>>
>>> ALPACA SIRE REFERENCE PROGRAM
>>>
>>> Preamble
>>> Selection of sires is possibly the single most important breeding
>>> decision any owner makes in striving for excellence in their alpaca
>>> business.
>>> The impact of a sire across a herd is more significant than any =
other
>>> single breeding decision.
>>> The American alpaca industry uses more sires across its national =
herd
>>> than is probably necessary. Supporters of a wide gene pool for the
>>> industry would dispute this, but, from a production perspective, it=20=

>>> is
>>> hard to argue an alternative point of view.
>>> The lack of a breed standard (for the industry) allows the broadest
>>> possible interpretation on what comprises an acceptable=20
>>> conformation. A
>>> show standard goes beyond what is, or could reasonably be expected=20=

>>> of,
>>> an animal primarily devoted to fibre production ie the show standard
>>> aims at a much higher level of conformation correctness than is=20
>>> usually
>>> reflected in a fibre production breeding emphasis.
>>> Breeders who aim for fibre excellence in their alpacas often lack =
the
>>> tools with which to make informed and productive genetic selections.
>>> Too often males are offered for service that have little or no
>>> supportive objective data that provide objectively obtained=20
>>> information
>>> for the female owner and breeder. This information may not be=20
> [...]

>>> Owners of listed sires will no doubt be recognized as leading edge
>>> breeders as demonstrated through their strength of conviction in
>>> submitting their animals to scrutiny over the internet.
>>> Breeders looking for sires will, for the first time perhaps, have a
>>> broader range of sires from which to select as small breeders unable=20=

>>> or
>>> unwilling to exhibit at shows will have a vehicle through which they
>>> can market and promote their animals at minimal cost and at maximum
>>> credibility.
>>> Finally, the conformation examination by a veterinarian will, for =
the
>>> first time, underpin an expanded guarantee of correctness of
>>> conformation by a sire owner.
>>> These are benefits that will not only enhance the reputation of the
>>> animal but also the owner in an industry which will place more and=20=

>>> more
>>> emphasis on fleece production than is currently the case.
>>> In essence, breeders offering sires entered into the program will be
>>> attesting that their animals have met a documented conformation
>>> standard, have undergone independently collected, tested and =
recorded
>>> fleece measurements and, if selected, are prepared to disclose
>>> secondary to primary follicle ratios to buyers of both animals and
>>> service options.
>>>

>>> ---
>>> List Name: Alpaca Fibre Production
>>> ListAddress: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> List Administrator: Ian Watt (alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>>>
>>> How to Unsubscribe: send an email to=20
>>> alpaca_fibre-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> and put "unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of =
the
>>> email.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> List Name: Alpaca Fibre Production
>>> ListAddress: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> List Administrator: Ian Watt (alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>>>
>>> How to Unsubscribe: send an email to
>>> alpaca_fibre-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and put "unsubscribe" (without =
the
>>> quotes) in the Subject line of the email.
>>>

>> ---
>> List Name: Alpaca Fibre Production
>> ListAddress: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> List Administrator: Ian Watt (alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>>
>> How to Unsubscribe: send an email to=20
>> alpaca_fibre-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and
>> put "unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the=20
>> email.
>

> Ruthanne McCaslin, DVM
>
> Promised Land Farm
> 11345 Thwing Rd.
> Chardon,  Ohio  44024
> 440-285-9255
> Peruvian Perfection in Black and White - and other exciting colors!

> How to Unsubscribe: send an email to=20
> alpaca_fibre-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and put "unsubscribe" (without the=20=

> quotes) in the Subject line of the email.

List Name: Alpaca Fibre Production
ListAddress: alpaca_fibre@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
List Administrator: Ian Watt (alpacaconsult@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

"unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject line of the email.