[ai_group]

  • From: "Dr.X" <drx@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ai_Group" <ai_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:45:35 -0400

I can't believe this. I got home, sat down for a cup of tea, and FELL ASLEEP!
For 4 HOURS! Geeze... and I wanted to get some work done tonight. :-( Oh well.
I'll tinker around a bit tonight and continue tomorrow.

>> I like the web flowchart concept (might be a lot of work - time might
>> be better spent elsewhere - I'm not sure).

>I started one and it was taking WAY too much time to draw the boxes,
>move things around, etc.. So I did a flowchart with text.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have a program to make flow charts and just
export them to jpg. It took me about 10 min. to make that chart. To maintain it
would take about 3 to 5 minutes for each update. That could be like 1 or 2 times
a day. The slowest part of the process is typing in the little boxes. Not a very
big job. Maybe making links on the web page is more trouble but not really. I
use Front Page 2000 Pro for that so even that part is easy. I didn't really
expect anyone to have to make flow charts or to have to maintain an entire web
site. I was suggesting that if I maintain a flowchart of what everyone was
doing, it would be easy to make sure the component/program you are working on
could easily be modularly added to the collective work and every one would know
where every one else was with their particular project. No big deal. I can
maintain it my self. Flow charts, sub flowcharts, and code will just be added as
it becomes available.

>** OH I like the idea of your popups for source code (or whatever), but
>what if you wanted to break the current section up into smaller ones
>and then have source code for each smaller one? What do you think? Like
>I want to do the overall plan like you did, but then branch off on each
>top idea down to lower levels until I get to the source code for that
>routine.

If you want a sub flow chart, just send it to me as if it were code. I can make
the flowchart and post it. The link in the main flow chart will lead to the sub
flowchart and in the sub there can be links to code or more subs. It's quite a
simple approach when you think about it. I only wish I had a better example. The
chart I posted was based on old, VERY old ideas that didn't even pan out. That's
probably why it doesn't make a lot of sense.

>It's not stupid. It is good to have a place to start and know what your
>overall goals are. For example here's what I think you are doing:
>
>Input is determined to be a question by the AI program.
>The AI program searches it's Q&A database table and sees if this
>question was ever asked before. If it was then it spits out the answer.
>If not, what happens?

If not, then it either has to tell the user "I just don't know, I'll try to look
it up (then use online resources)", asks some one else to help, links to some
one else's AI...what ever it takes. And when it finally DOES get an answer, it
will just add it to its Q&A DB. This will just rely on what ever we come up with
in the AI portion of the program. The Q&A is not AI. It's just there to help in
the way of speed. In the search for AI, many people forget to make the AI
useful. So even if we make this fun, like the chatterboxes, we can also make it
help out with work. Like when you need to know something for the office, you can
just ask the AI and see if it gives you good answers quickly.

My head is hurting. I'm going to take some aspirin and see if I can work on some
better ideas of my own for an AI instead of relying on my past experiences that
just didn't work. :-)

Dr.X