[adaptivetec] Re: What is the difference?

  • From: Steven Clark <sclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: adaptivetec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:45:36 -0700

Hi Claude,

I just ran into my first laptop with an Express Card Slot.  It's a new
standard developed by the same group that created the original PCMCIA
slot.  The physical difference is that there is a notch in the slot
keeping your PCMCIA card from seating properly.  Normally new slots
like this are backwards compatible with the old standard, but it looks
like they are purposely preventing you from pluggin old cards in with
the notch.  Must be some electrical changes that would blow up the old
card if connected to the new slot. The new cards can be narrower than
the old ones or have the notch cut out to fit into the slot.

You'll have to get a new Express Card to use it in the new slot.

Steve

Steven Clark
Adaptive Technology Services
629 Divisadero Street