[accmemberdiscussion] FW: Re: AL Canine Coalition Oct 18th meeting

  • From: "Theresa Moreno Cook" <southnmist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 22:10:51 -0500

Haven’t seen this on the list so am forwarding for Leah in case it was blocked.

Theresa

Responsible Animal Owners of Alabama <http://www.raoal.com/>

The video HSUS wants to hide! <http://tinyurl.com/qldv9k>

From: ilcrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:06:09 -0500

When I first heard about the existence of ACC nearly a year ago, I was eager to
join.  Since that time, I have learned much from ACC emails and even more from
independent research on the internet that was definitely spurred by words,
ideas, proceedings in other states all of which were brought to my attention by
ACC.  I use the information leaned from ACC and from my own research to help
educate every person who will listen—my own vets, friends with pets, friends
without pets, anyone who mentions PETA or HSUS—you name it, I take the
opportunity to educate.  I make it a point to every legislation poll that I run
across and to write letters when appropriate.  Breeder rights and animal
welfare are a priority for me.

In the last two days, I’ve read the two emails posted below and thought, “Hmm,
am I in the right place?”  I’m not so sure anymore.  Do our board members and
officers actually feel that they ARE the ACC and the only ones capable of
reading and analyzing bills?  I thought we were ALL the ACC.

When members are admonished not to ask legitimate questions publicly to which
others might be interested in the response, and particularly when an email such
as the one below implies that those of us who are not going to the October
meeting are not making this issue a priority, then something is lost.  There is
no faster way to discourage people from joining ACC or to encourage them to
leave than to admonish members for asking legitimate questions or to imply that
people are not making this a priority if they don’t attend a meeting.

Do I think ACC meetings and the organization are important?  You bet I do!  As
legislation threatens to invade Alabama, this is our ONLY hope of stopping it.
However, with members in various stages of their lives, with various
obligations and responsibilities, it is not always a question of simple “making
an ACC meeting a “priority” to make it possible to get there.  Sometimes life
gets in the way.

To our board, officers, and all of the good folks who attend the meeting, God
bless you and THANK YOU.  But, please, do not for one second forget that your
power is in the numbers standing behind you who are not at the meeting, because
if you do, you are putting all of us in jeopardy of losing this battle.  Ivy
Rice

  _____