[accmemberdiscussion] Re: AL Canine Coalition Oct 18th meeting

  • From: "Ivy Rice" <ilcrice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:06:09 -0500

When I first heard about the existence of ACC nearly a year ago, I was eager
to join.  Since that time, I have learned much from ACC emails and even more
from independent research on the internet that was definitely spurred by
words, ideas, proceedings in other states all of which were brought to my
attention by ACC.  I use the information leaned from ACC and from my own
research to help educate every person who will listen-my own vets, friends
with pets, friends without pets, anyone who mentions PETA or HSUS-you name
it, I take the opportunity to educate.  I make it a point to every
legislation poll that I run across and to write letters when appropriate.
Breeder rights and animal welfare are a priority for me.

In the last two days, I've read the two emails posted below and thought,
"Hmm, am I in the right place?"  I'm not so sure anymore.  Do our board
members and officers actually feel that they ARE the ACC and the only ones
capable of reading and analyzing bills?  I thought we were ALL the ACC.

When members are admonished not to ask legitimate questions publicly to
which others might be interested in the response, and particularly when an
email such as the one below implies that those of us who are not going to
the October meeting are not making this issue a priority, then something is
lost.  There is no faster way to discourage people from joining ACC or to
encourage them to leave than to admonish members for asking legitimate
questions or to imply that people are not making this a priority if they
don't attend a meeting.

Do I think ACC meetings and the organization are important?  You bet I do!
As legislation threatens to invade Alabama, this is our ONLY hope of
stopping it.  However, with members in various stages of their lives, with
various obligations and responsibilities, it is not always a question of
simple "making an ACC meeting a "priority" to make it possible to get there.
Sometimes life gets in the way.

To our board, officers, and all of the good folks who attend the meeting,
God bless you and THANK YOU.  But, please, do not for one second forget that
your power is in the numbers standing behind you who are not at the meeting,
because if you do, you are putting all of us in jeopardy of losing this
battle.  Ivy Rice

  _____