accessible-iOS Re: VO volume on iPhone 5s after updating from 4s

  • From: Katey Glass <kateyjax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessible-ios@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 08:41:56 -0500

Here is the email I sent to apple

Good Morning/Afternoon,

My name is Catherine Glass and I've been using an iPhone since the 3GS came
out with accessibility, I had a 3GS, 4s and now a 5s.  Unfortunately, I
write today to report a bug which I, and many other blind/visually impaired
VoiceOver users seem to be having with our brand new 5s units.

This bug involved the VO volume in the rotor.  I have had this selected on
my 4s and it worked as expected, raising my VO volume independently of the
system sounds from 1% to 100%.  However, after receiving my brand new 5s
this weekend, and restoring it from a backup of my 4s, the volume when I
flick up is stuck at 45%.  While I can raise and lower the volume using the
volume buttons on the side, the system sounds -- ringers and alerts are
rather loud.  If us lower the volume of sounds the VO voice gets way too
low.

I am a person who has some usable vision and I can see that when I press
the volume up button to raise the VO volume the little symbol which tells
how high the volume is almost to the top and still VO voice is somewhat low
in volume.  This is not the case with my 4s.  I can make the system sounds
rather loud and have VO speak softly.  If I put VO volume in my rotor it’s
stuck at 45%.

What should I do to fix this issue?  I have a brand new iPhone 64 Gig,
silver on the AT&T network.  I got this through the AT&T store.  Any
information you can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

Visit my FaceBook page at: www.facebook.com/kateyjax