[accesscomp] FW: [Ccb-l] FW: PRESS RELEASE, Consumers on SSI can receive a CFTB computer for $40 through a grant

  • From: "Robert Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aw-announcements@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 12:31:41 -0700

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
(818) 998-0044
www.helpinghands4theblind.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Ccb-l [mailto:ccb-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Thom
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2015 4:39 PM
To: CCB-Presidents@xxxxxxxxxx; ccb-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Ccb-l] FW: PRESS RELEASE, Consumers on SSI can receive a CFTB
computer for $40 through a grant

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall [mailto:larry3@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2015 4:25 PM
To: jeff thom
Subject: PRESS RELEASE, Consumers on SSI can receive a CFTB computer for $40
through a grant

Please share this press release with your professional and industrial
staff. I originally sent it out to state agency directors but failed
to send it to the Lighthouses. We still have
50 computers left on this years grant. I hope we can help out some
of your blind and low vision staff. The press release is listed
below and I have attached it as well as our agency fact sheet.

Press Release

Consumers on SSI can receive a CFTB computer for $40 through a grant
from the Delta Gamma Foundation

Computers for the Blind (CFTB) a non profit 501 (c) (3) organization
located in Richardson, Texas is pleased to announce the receipt of a
generous grant from the Delta Gamma Foundation to provide 75
accessible desktop computers and monitors for
$40 to persons who are on SSI due to their blindness. The regular fee
for a desktop is $110.
Laptops are $160.

These refurbished computers come installed with the following
accessibility software:

NVDA Screen Reader www.nvda-project.org/

JAWS Screen Reader www.freedomscientific.com, (FS) trial
version

Licensed copy of MAGic w/out speech Screen Magnification
software valued at $395 by FS

TypeAbility Typing Tutorial, www.yesaccessible.com, trial version

Larger monitors for those with low vision

For questions or to request a computer contact Computers for the
Blind at 214-340-6328 or info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Go to
www.computersfortheblind.net for details on computer specs and
additional free software.

Shipping is free and computers are generally mailed within one week
of receipt of $40 check and award letter from the Social Security
Administration (SSA) showing proof of SSI based on blindness.

CFTB also received a grant from the Delta Gamma Foundation to provide
25 TypeAbility Typing Tutorial licenses for $25.00 each for CFTB
consumers. These retail for $150 and are normally available to CFTB
consumers for $50.00. To obtain a license, contact YesAccessible.
Consumer will need to send them a check for $25, a copy of their
award letter from the SSA showing proof of SSI based on blindness,
and their CFTB ID number found in my documents on their CFTB
computer.
www.yesaccessible.com, 626-358-5750, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Please note that consumers must choose between the computer grant and
the TypeAbility Grant. Finally, only SSI recipients are eligible for
the grants, not SSDI recipients.

David Jeppson - Executive Director
Computers for the Blind - www.computersfortheblind.net
djeppson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx