[access-uk] telephones

  • From: "David Russell" <david.russell8@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access-Uk@Freelists. Org" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:20:32 -0000

Hi Folks,

this is not about mobiles, but about home phones as discussed last week.  I
promised to give my views on the Panasonic 7100 phone.  Well, it is
excellent.   I have a base unit and four phones, and three charging units.
All four phones work very well and all give equal sound quality.  Charging
initially takes seven hours with two AAA NIMH batteries.  the handbook says
the phones give 17 hours continual talk time and 170 hours stand by on one
set of batteries, but I have seen reviews stating 240 hours on stand by.
the hand sets themselves are quite rugged plastic and not at all flimsy.
the buttons are large and have a nice feel to them.  You will need sighted
assistance to navigate the menu system, at least initially, but it is
possible to make notes of the various menu options and then find them
without help.  Each hand set has a speaker on the back of the phone, so that
others can listen to the other end of the conversation.  You can also use
the hand sets to talk to someone in another part of the house.  There are
around half a dozen volume settings for the ringing tone, and about ten
different tones.  I do not have the version with answering machine so cannot
comment on that.

All in all, I am extremely happy with the Panasonic 7104.  Now wouldn't it
be good if we could use the phone book on these phones as we do with our
mobiles?  How about talks for home phones?

David