[access-uk] Re: talking digital media centre

  • From: "Stephen Green" <STEPHEN.TINA@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:58:00 +0100

Hi Ray

can I say that I have also bought a PC for the living room just like Steve
Nutt's configuration. it is a micro ATX system specially designed for quiet
use. it is about 30x30x45 cms and as a bare bones system with motherboard
case and processor cost £200. obviously you still need to  add hard drive
DVD recorder of choice and nebula freeview system for it to work.

I have added a cordless keyboard and mouse and it connects to the TV via a
component video output directly from the motherboard. however, the most
amazing thing is how quiet it is. I have it about 4 feet from my ear and the
fan noise is almost absent. it only has a 180 watt power supply with one
free PCI slot so it probably wouldn't do as your main system, but I also
have a PC in my study on which I have all my music ripped as MP3's, so my
wife and I can hear whatever we like through the hi-fi in the living room
using a wi-fi connection.

one word of caution though, nebula recordings with audio description can't
be burned to DVD yet, but the company are working on it.

regards

Steve Green