[access-uk] Re: laptop portability

  • From: "andy logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:04:47 +0100

Hi there Terry.

Congratulations in securing your new position.  I'm thinking of applying for
2 posts with my local authority, Community Care Social Worker, and Social
Worker with Children Affected by disability.  Although it has been three
years since I was last employed, I'm thinking along the same lines as
yourself at the moment, e,g. Recording and accessing information in an
interview situation, with as little kit as possible.

When I was last employed, Access to Work provided a Toshiba Lap-Top which
plugged into a module which contained my Display, Printer and Scanner.  When
I returned from a visit, I simply plugged the lap-top into the module.

The problem then, as perhaps now, was accessing, editing and reporting on
the information gained by the visit.  I believe that recording straight into
a lap-top, with a view to tidying up later, is the best option, though this
does require additional time for listening and editing.  The other method of
recording information is audio recorder, or more up-to-date equipment such
as an MD recorder.  This however requires much more time, with respect to
editing and reporting upon the information gained.

My old social worker for the blind, who was himself total, used to press the
pause button on a hand held cassette recorder.  I used to think that he was
old fashioned and not used to more modern methods of recording, such as word
processing or audio, but his technique was by far the quicker and easier
accessible.   Because I took the technology route, I soon became bogged down
in tapes.  If I get any of the above positions, I will endeavour to keep it
simple.  Good luck and all the best with your new position.

information

Best wishes.
Andy from sunny Kilcreggan