[access-uk] formats for correspondence from banks etc

  • From: "John" <john.godber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:02:21 +0100

hello,
I tried to get a mix of formats from Barclays but they only offer one format
per customer. It's one of those odd things about the whole blind thing. People
need you to fit into some simple boxes and struggle with the concept that we're
all different and things like the length of a document, how much we need to
study the detail etc will determine the right medium for it. you either have to
use Braille or large print or audio or electronic. very few organisations or
individuals come to that seem to be able to appreciate the very obvious fact
that  different media work better for some of us for some items than others so
people are quite likely to want say large print for some things you need to
study carefully like statements but might prefer audio for some of the rambling
marketing stuff we get. It isn't rocket science nor is it difficult to
implement. You just need an extra field on the customer database. It is well
established that anybody who has sight will try to keep using their vision as
long as possible  but may need to swap to another medium to read longer items.
I'd recommend people to try to have the energy to make the point to all
organisations who provide a range of documents. Having said that I can't even
get our local PCT to put out any information directly in accessible formats so
if they want to tell you your test results are dire you have to get Mrs next
door to read it out! When they do send any accessible information out they do
it through our local blind society which just reinforces the idea that we are
somehow not a normal part of their customer group. If they can store my name,
address, age and sex on their database why not the fact that I want my letters
in Braille?
Putting my RNIB hat on for a moment - and I'm really not claiming ~RNIB has got
this right at all - but on the customer database in Peterborough there are two
fields for preferred medium - one for general correspondence and one for
product instructions so you can have different defaults. I did a survey last
year that told me that while 98 per cent of my customers thought that provision
of information in the appropriate medium was very important only 45 per cent
knew they could have a choice of accessible media. So if any of you aren't
happy with the medium you get information in from customer services, call them
up and get the default settings on your account changed. You can always vary
your setting for a specific order.
Mind you, I reckon I'll be long dead before blind people routinely receive
consistently good quality Braille from anywhere!
Rant over.
John