[access-uk] Re: face book

  • From: "Catherine Turner" <catherineturner2000@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:17:21 +0100

Hi,

The basics of facebook is accessible I'd say. To sign up for it you have to do a captcha thing - where you have to copy the characters from an image into a box which is not accessible for JAWS. I got a friend to help with this.

Then once you've set up your account a lot of the time when you want to join a group or add someone as a friend or something, you have to do the captcha thing again - but I e-mailed their customer services/support people and explained I used a screen reader etc and they got the captcha taken off my account. I can't remember the address. I know several screen reader users have done this.

I say the basics is accessible - I mean things like joining groups, sorting out your profile, adding/communicating with friends. There are lots of applications you can add and some of these aren't accessible.

Also, sometimes the screen updates and JAWS might not pick up on it - you might need to do JAWS Escape to refresh the screen, or search for a checkbox or something.

So it's not without its problems but it can be used...

Catherine
----- Original Message ----- From: "Wendy Dundas" <wendy.dundas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>