[access-uk] Re: downloading music

  • From: "Mark Berrisford-Smith" <mark.berrisford-smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 16:26:33 -0000

Barry,

I've been successfully downloading tracks for my iPod from a Russian site
called 'allofmp3.com'. In particular, I've been able to find quite a few old
albums there, that I have on vinyl but never bought on CD.

The site is fairly friendly with JAWS. You do have to pay, but only for the
privilege of downloading in your preferred format. Unlike some other sites,
you get to choose the format and resolution, with lots of tracks available
up to 320Kb/s. . The tracks are then encoded for you, with an email being
sent to let you know when they're done. You then have a fortnight to
download them.

I won't get into the thorny issue of legalities. Suffice to say that you
don't pay for the music, just for the encoding. The rate is about US$1 for
100 megabytes. In any event, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Hope that helps. Just off to eat my Christmas dinner!!!

Mark