[access-uk] Re: computer housekeeping

  • From: "Mark Threadgold" <m.j.threadgold@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 08:03:32 +0100

Damon,

I have had problems as you describe in the past and have found that turning
off all utilities and antivirus programs gets it running.

I first physically disconnect my broadband connection and ensure the
wireless is turned off.  First I go into IE and clear all the temporary
internet files from the properties window.  I run the ms disk cleanup
utility to ensure there are no uneccessary temporary files or other guff in
it.  Then shut down all utilities from the machine and then the antivirus.
I start the defrag and as quickly as I can I turn off my screen reader, Hal.

You have to leave it and guess when it is done, but if you have a hard drive
that makes any amount of noise you simply wait until it has stopped
rattling.  If it is a large drive and has not been defragged for some time
you will probably need to leave it for several hours to do its job.

I then shut down the pc without running the screenreader by hitting the
windows key and then u twice.  When the machine is turned back on the
antivirus and screen reader and any utilities start normally and it is only
then that I reconnect the broadband cable.

It works for me, anyway!

hth,

Mark Threadgold

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity
of your act...

  _____