[access-uk] Re: complex port forwarding question

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:50:12 +0100

"1. when i forward the port to my laptop, the port seems to be blocked
when i use a port detection tool. is there any way what  i can see what
the internal IP is on the network? "

This is a little out of my comfort zone as technicalities go but port
forwarding I don't think necessariily means that you have laid your
internal I/P on the private network bare to the world, the Network
Address Translation still insulates you and takes care of routing the
information through when that information appears at the specified port
and routes it through to its desired destination.  In addition many NAT
routers have port stealthing abilities as a security measure to stop
hackers getting in, the really good ones will not acknowledge the knock
on the door that your probing tool does even, so you get no response.

I don't know the answer to question two though.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Support