[access-uk] You might want to contribute to this wonderful project:

  • From: "Angel" <angel238@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:18:14 -0400

I'm posting this call for submissions to an anthology about blind people
doing their jobs to this list in order to get it out to as many people
as possible.

THE BLIND AT WORK, CALL FOR testimonies

"The world's blind people at work:
often unbelievable but true testimonies".
CALL FOR testimonies.

Thirteen years ago, the book "les Aveugles au Travail" (Blind People at
Work) was published in France, under my leadership in order to enhance
awareness
of blind people, the organizations in charge of their career, the public
or private employers and the general public, about the professions
accessible
to us. Through one hundred and six testimonies, more than seventy-five
activities were then presented in very different fields such as:
Reception and Communication,
Administration,
Agriculture,
Arts and Entertainment,
Crafts,
Trade and Sales,
Teaching and Education,
Industry,
Legal,
Medical and Paramedical,
Politics,
Press, radio and television,
Science, Research and Computing,
Social work.

It was a success because, in its different formats, more than 5,000
copies of the book were sold, giving rise to several radio and
television interviews,
several articles in the press, I received many expressions of appreciation.

Since May 1999, the employment situation of blind people has changed:
new opportunities have been created, some "traditional" professions are
endangered,
others are still present and generate employment. While the global
economic crisis and rising unemployment in industrialized countries are
making it more
difficult to employ people with disabilities, despite the measures taken
in many countries to promote this, I say that blind people who wish,
should, like
any citizen, have the right to work to get decent resources and play
their full role in society.

That is why the publisher of the 1999 book has just agreed to publish a
second edition with me  whose release is planned for the second half of
2013.

In order to do even better than the first time:
- Thanks to the support of the member associations of the World Blind
Union (WBu) which will be sought at the General Assembly in November,
thanks to the
current ease of communication offered by internet, I wish to gather
testimonies from around the world, whereas in the previous edition, just
over 10% of
the articles were written outside France. The experience taught me that
in Asia, Africa, America or elsewhere, even if cultures and economic
conditions
are very different from those of Europe, we may collect innovative
experiences, good practices to be implemented in order to expand the
range of occupations
accessible to blind or partially sighted.
- An English edition, and perhaps in other languages shall be made which
will drastically increase the distribution of the book,
- Its distribution will be offered to all member associations of the
wBU, which will have the opportunity to perform on-site editions in
adapted formats.
- An electronic version may be available on-line and downloaded by the
visually impaired,
- Any further suggestions for improvement will be welcome.

Each story, from 5 to 7000 characters including spaces, shall
attractively present the occupation, the difficulties encountered and
how they were overcome,
technical aids used, the positive aspects and provide advice for those
who wish to engage in the same career path. It will be retained based on
its originality,
the clarity of the information contained herein, the possibility of
replicating it in other countries.

If you are totally blind, that is to say if you cannot use any sight in
your profession, if the income that it gives you allows you to live, if
you are
satisfied with your job and wish to share your experience with other
persons deprived of sight, I would very much appreciate it if you
contact me, either
by e-mail at
blindatwork@xxxxxxxxxxx
  or by mail at 3 rue des Chantiers 75005 Paris (France), preferably in
English, French, Italian or Spanish. We will prepare your story
together. It is also
at these addresses that I will gladly answer any questions you deem
useful to ask me.

About thirty people invited to present their story have already
responded positively, but this is just the beginning and I still very
much need all of
you to complete my project, so don't hesitate to talk about it to your
friends. I also thank the associations which will receive this message
for widely
publishing it in their journals and newsletters, on their websites,
because the more of you who contribute, the more different this second
edition of "Blind
People At Work" will be, the more interesting it will be, and, as was
the case in 1999, will achieve its purpose.

I had a great time preparing the first book, it allowed me to meet so
many people and appreciate their valuable testimonies. If you like,
please help me
repeat this wonderful experience.

Thank you all, cordially.

Philippe Chazal.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office..." -
Aesop

"