[access-uk] Re: Winmx search being blocked by Norton I think.

  • From: "simon.dowling" <simodowl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:28:04 -0000

hi andy, i will send you the tutorial i wrote off list but see if the below
helps.

If you are using a home router or software router (such as ZoneAlarm) this is a
very simple procedure, which will be outlined in the documentation that came
with your firewall or router. If you are behind a corporate firewall or proxy,
you will need to ask your network administrator to do this for you. Some
network administrators may not want to do this, in which case you should use
Option 2 below. In either case, you will need to know the port number to map.
This can be found by going into the WinMX connection settings, and clicking the
"Network / Proxy Settings" button. The port number you need to map will appear
below where it says "Incoming Connections".

Option 2

You can put WinMX into "Firewall Mode".

This mode doesn't need to have any incoming connections, but will reduce search
results because you will be unable to download from other users that are in the
same mode (as neither side will be able to accept a connection). Uploads will
be pushed outward when in firewalled mode instead of waiting for an incoming
connection. To put WinMX into firewall mode, go into the "Connection Settings"
click the "Network / Proxy Settings" button, and below where it says "Incoming
Connections", select "Unable to accept incoming connections".
You need to
properly configure any firewall you use or nobody will be able to upload from
you! By default, TCP port 6699 and UDP port 6257 need inbound and outbound
permissions. Those ports are the default, but you can use variants, if for
example you need to map to two machines.