[access-uk] Re: Typeing tutorial for a beginner?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:40:55 -0000

One of the major differences is that our right Alt key,
which is usually labelled "Alt Gr",  allows a 3rd character
to be generated.  For example, Alt Gr + the 4 on the top
row, will generate a Euro currency sign, which visually
looks like an upper case letter C with an equals sign
superimposed on it.  Plain shifted 4 is an Americam Dollar
sign. This feature is used heavily in many European
countries to produce specific accented characters.

We have an extra key to the left of the Z which is our
back-slash.  Shifted 2 is the @ sign, where in the UK it's
double quotes.  Shifted 3 is the hash or what Americans call
a "Pound" key which looks like a musical sharp sign ---
rather confusingly, our British Pound currency symbol is
there.  Americans have apostrophe and double quotes to the
left of the Enter key, we have apostrophe and the @ sign.
Plus a few more I won't go into right now.

You can see visual layouts of different keyboards at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout.

George.

                From: alan pollard