[access-uk] The Kindle and accessible content

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 21:50:19 +0100

Hi all -

Out of interest, I've just spent some time searching for 15 ebooks in the
Kindle store of which only 4 had tts enabled!

The titles I deliberately looked for were more recent releases. Given the
results of this piece of research, I have to say I'm very disappointed, so even
if the reader was more accessible, until more authors allow text to speech for
their work, I don't believe the Kindle offers value for money. It looks like
more older titles are available, but even there, most still are not.

I can't understand the thinking of authors who refuse tts access to their
books, I wonder what they are afraid of? -

It is true to say that if one is not too fussy about what one reads, just
wanting to find something for free, or that has tts accessability, then there
may well be enough to go at, but for me, I don't wish to waste my time reading
just for readings sake, there's loads of great material out there, and I for
one, want greater access to it!
Andy