[access-uk] Re: Talx and cost of access software

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:39:18 +0100

Right Jillian,, I think you get to the nub of the matter when you say, "> seems
to me like noone can win on this one.  Those making scripts or actual >
programs to make stuff accessible need to recoup costs.  But some of us with
> disabilities are not working and cannot afford the equipment we need to make
> life better.  I'm one of those, hence the antiquated comp."

Those in reasonably well paid work will pay the asking price if they choose;
those of us - and I too am out of work - far more often go without.  Those
providing services, including script writing, as well as the access tech itself
have to turn a profit;  why else would they be businesses, as opposed to
charitable organisations?  Though I won't pursue the status of charities here,
I hope its enough to say that, given the amateurish and Imp afraid to say,
often self-serving nature of many of them, its not really an option.  Besides,
there are strict rules about being a charity and trading.

That leads me to bang on again about the need for reform of provision of access
technology.  You are doing the logical thing Jillian by trying to go the
education route, because that's one of the ways in which people can get their
hands on funding.  If you say to one of the stuffed shirts or padded shoulders
selling the stuff at Sight Village next week, that, "oh, I can't afford that",
they'll say can you get Access to Work or an Education grant, or have you tried
the charities?"

Its time for a more wide ranging scheme, to bring the subsidy, or grant, for
access technology to the individual level, rather than the work or educational
situation of an individual,  Because computer based technology is more and more
part of everyday life, be it using phones or getting about, (GPS) the time is
ripe for a change.  Governments and Political entities such as the European
Union could play their part in laying down mandates for accessibility of ATMs
phones and computer interfaces.  We ought too to look at the issues surrounding
unfair pricing between different currency areas.

To provide access equipment outside of work/education settings has another
benefit too:  equipping VI and disabled people generally to cope in daily
living and at work or college, before they get there, if they ever do, rather
than an expensive bandaide after that they arrive at college or work.  Sure
training and classes would have to go hand in hand with technological
provision, and there are many ways this could be done.

I'm trying to argue for a much more inclusive system of access tech provision,
widening it out from the long time preferential treatment of people who win the
work or education lottery.  Seeing people at a Job Centre office accessing the
internet and using touch screens brought home to me again the fact that we are
a group apart, not just marginal, but beyond the margins, out of sight and out
of the minds of the grand strategists.

We'll go on having this argument as long as this system of access apartheid
exists.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx