[access-uk] Re: TALKS in the UK

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:11:48 +0100

I can only confirm from helping someone this last weekend with this that the
situation is confusing, although you can get lucky and somebody will
actually know something in a Vodafone shop but it is rare indeed.  Any of
you willl find that a Nokia 6600 is impossible to find in the high street,
even a Nokia 6630 may be displayed but actually available to buy.  The best
aproach in my opion if on the high street is to launch in with "speaking
phone" or "Talks" software for blind mobile users.  You will find that staff
have relatively poor knowledge of which phones such software can be put on,
few I experienced even knew which Nokia phones have Symbian 60/80 and it's
difference to over other Nokia based phones.

However for many people the sort of contract of £30 upwards with call costs
is not a realistic proposition, and the best bet if you want pay as you go
is don't bother asking in store but scower the web for a cheap deal and get
a pay as you go SIM, although a big lump at once to pay, for some this may
be an answer.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology