[access-uk] Re: Retrieving JAWS Key

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:22:37 +0100

And I understood from a comment a few months back that GW might well have some
form of copy protection on the way.  Dolphin have already gone down that road.
Could be wrong, but let's see what GW come up with.

As far as JAWS activation is concerned, yes it's a pain that you can't
deactivate it (you can remove the activation info from a machine, but this
doesn't give you another key).  But when I had to reset my install count FS did
it within 24 hours, no questions asked, which is a lot less time than you would
have been waiting for a replacement authorisation floppy disk in the "old"
days.  Needless to say if you did it too often they would probably get
suspicious, but for people who move machines frequently there is always the
option of purchasing a dongle since the regular downloadable/CD version of JAWS
now supports a dongle "out of the box" as lon as you make sure you install the
relevant driver.  This would in fact be easier than trying to install and then
remove one of the old keys.

So I fail to see how the current system can't meet the needs of any JAWS users
out there, it's a bit different but I think FS have done everything they could
to make it easier for people.  Also don't forget that fewer and fewer machines
are coming with floppy drives built in (mine hasn't), and Sony, who started
making 3.5 inch disks, have now stopped making them.  What does that tell you?

James