[access-uk] Re: Reducing Laptop Temperature

  • From: Chris & Doris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 05:58:16 -0400

Waht you want to get is a notepad cooling pad that connects to your laptopp's usb port. get one that is made from metal, which is a better heat conductor than the cheapie plastic offerings, and that has one or more good strong fans.

Also, your lap is not the best place to place the laptop on as the favric of your clothes get even more in the way of air circulation than a smooth table top or briefcase would.

keep your laptop away from dusty enviroments and clean it with pressurized air spray from time to time. whether the ventiliation slits on the unit are easily accessible will depend on the make and model.

hth

Doris At 10:25 AM 6/3/2009 +0100, you wrote:
Hello,

This is perhaps a little off topic, but as a lot of people on the list use laptops, I thought someone might have some information they could pass on.

My laptop seems to be running rather hot in this warm weather, especially if I sit in a chair with it on my lap for any length of time, so I've been looking at the various devices available to help reduce the temperature. There seem to be several different kinds, ranging from pads which contain gel or granules, to trays equipped with fans which connect to a USB port on the laptop. These devices also seem to be known by a number of different names, from laptop trays to notebook coolers, so they're not the easiest thing to track down and compare on line.

I've never used any of these devices, so would appreciate it if anyone could pass on any comments, good or bad, about how effective they are. Someone did mention Antec Coolermaster to me, but hadn't actually tried one out so was unable to comment on how good they are.

Thanks,

Caroline.