[access-uk] Re: OT political correctness gone mad?

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:03:54 -0000

Well Kevin, for what its worth, at least the article gives more than one side
of the picture, rather than a simple bashing of 'olitical correctness'.  I can
imagine that someone who is partially sighted, like the RNIB chap, or near to
that, could do the job.  Dare say H&S and those who want to simply cover their
backs will not care to entertain partially sighted applicants though.

Puts me in mind of a guy I met a long time back who, in the 1950s was called up
for national service.  They wouldnt believe him when he claimed he was
partially sighted.  He'd done all sorts of interesting jobs, including market
traiding and working in a shoe shop as a sales assistant.  Guess he'd become
too successful at being someone who had 'overcome' his disability!

I will try not to exstend this discussion further than the moderators would see
fit, but I have a strong suspician that I have been refused access to
accomodation in a building (which was originally set up to accomodate disabled
people) simply because of 'fire risk' and 'health and safety' concerns.  Not
that the people concerned were open about it;  that way I might easily have
been able to take it to a disability discrimination tribunal.  No, they simply
lied, or I surmise that's what they did, saying that the office space was
spoken for.  That was a few months back and the building is still awash with
office space being unused!

I could go on to rail against the way I am restricted here in my housing
association accomodation from having an upstairs flat, but I think I've said
more than enough to show where I am coming from on this subject.  Pity its so
OT for this list.
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx