[access-uk] Re: Leaving computer on 24/7, safety risks?

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:56:26 -0000

"a fire fighter giving a talk that they do consider computers to be a
fire risk."

A humble lightswitch can be a fire risk under the right circumstances
(for example gas) and indeed anything that operates on electricity that
has a switch that operates may spark with possibly fiery consequence.
The bigger the current or heat dissipation the bigger any potential risk
so a washing machine or electric heater left one may arguably be a
bigger potential risk than a PC that is just running.

However as Carol mentioned if the ventilation is good around the machine
and it is not near a radiator then you should be OK.  If you are really
concerned it might be worth consulting a tame electrician if you can
find one for advice.  The sort of things to look at though would be
things like faulty plugboards.  Many cheap ones that have been in use
start arching and it is not an uncommon fault.  You can often tell that
arching is taking place even if you don't notice the noise because you
will find one socket doesn't work some or all of the time.  If you have
this change the pllugboard immediately as it could spark and cause a
fire.  Also pay attention to fuses, many appliances have the wrong fuses
fitted to the plug.  Find out the current draw of the appliance and then
fit the apropriate fuse, for example a little mains radio does not need
a 13 Amp fuse but a 3 Amp fuse will be more apropriate, if something
went wrong it might be too late before it blows with a 13 amp fuse.
Make sure you are not overloading the mains circuit, especially where
plugboards are concerned, never for example use a high current device
like a kettle or a heater on a plugboard with other things running as
well you are bound to blow something.  Some people might also consider
putting in  RCD device as well so that if current draw gets too high at
the supply in the house then the current is cut.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road