[access-uk] Re: Laptops

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 19:49:13 -0000

Hi Andy

It depends on what you want to pay and whether you want something lightweight to carry around, or lugable.

Personally - and I've said this several times since I've had it - I like my HP laptop that I've had for six months. It isn't the lightest contraption in the world, but it has a 320GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 256MB graphics (not shared), built-in Bluetooth, webcam, wireless networking, HD/Blue-Ray compatible drive, three USB, one firewire, ethernet, Vista Home Premium ... all the normal things nowadays really. My favourite feature is the almost full-size keyboard with numeric keypad which I find very useful to be honest. There are also two headphone sockets and a microphone socket on the front. The only thing it doesn't have is a line-in but I use my other machine for stuff like that if need be.

I'm sure others will recommend machines they use, or have used, so I guess you'll have plenty to choose from.

As for where to buy, it depends if you like getting stuff off the Internet or in the High Street. I don't have a preference really. I got my HP from Comet where I ordered it over the phone, but that was because I liked the spec of the machine more than where it actually came from.

Happy hunting.

Jackie

Email: cairnsplace@xxxxxxx