[access-uk] Keyboard on a new laptop

  • From: <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:51:24 -0400

Hello all.

I am quite tired so maybe I'mmissing something obvious here, so please bare
with me.

I have just qaquired a new dell laptop. The laptop has a num lock pad so I
would assume that with screenreaders like jaws both laptop and desktop
layout can be used. The problem I am getting though whether I use desktop or
laptop layout is that no command works if it's used in combination with the
function keys.

Let's use jaws as an example. If I want to press insert+J to get in to the
jaws menu, it works fine, but if I press for example insert+f 12 to check
the time or insert + f11 to check the system tray, nothing happens. This
behavior is not just applied to jaws but anything.

I'vwe been up a long time without much sleep for various reasons, so again
perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but if there is any way I can rectify
this please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.